Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection refused for git push

Todd Van Valkenburg June 2, 2017

I am trying to use SSH to push a repo to our Bitbucket server for the first time.  I am probably missing a step since this is all new to me.  If you have any thoughts, let me know. 

The error I get is: ssh: connect to host scm.it.mtu.edu port 7999: Connection refused fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Steps I have taken.

On Bitbucket server....

1. Verified SSH enabled, keys enabled, port 7999, and base url=ssh://scm.it.mtu.edu

2. Created project & repo. (empty repo).  Project key is EBAP.

3.  On the settings>access key of the repo, I copied in the rsa public key. (note: I also tried to adding the public key to the project)

On my pc using Git Bash...

4.  Made sure SSH agent running with private key

5. cd to repo

6. $git remote add bitbucket ssh://git@scm.it.mtu.edu:7999/scm/ebap/(repo)

7. $git push -u bitbucket --all

---------

Note: I was able to push the repo using HTTPS but I want to create a script to push using SSH without having to supply credentials.

Todd

1 answer

1 vote
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2017

Repo access keys are read-only - they cannot be used to push. If you associate that key with a user account, then you should be able to push.

Todd Van Valkenburg June 2, 2017

Thanks Jim.  Bare with me - I don't quite understand why the push would not use rsa key.  I guess I thought that any SSH access to the git repos on the bitbucket server from my pc would require a public key added to the server repo. 

In terms of my connection refused issue, I spoke to a system administrator and we are thinking that port 7999 is blocked by the load balancer.  So the sys admin will be looking into that.

Todd 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events