Cloud Mirroring no longer a thing?

Andy Liddle October 7, 2020

I'm looking to set up a mirror for our BitBucket Cloud repo's,  but after some digging, it seems it's only supported in older versions of BitBucket Server (6.5 and lower).

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-12340

Not sure what the reason for this change it but.

Do you need a license for Bitbucket Data Center if I'm paying for Premium Cloud?

If that's the case, then why are they still marketing Mirroring as a Cloud Feature

My main reason for setting up a local mirror is that BitBucket Cloud isn't using any Data Centers in the UK and looks to be mostly in the US.

Thanks

Andy

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Hi @Andy Liddle,

I'd recommend checking out some of the documentation here:

Use Smart Mirroring for Bitbucket Cloud

Set up Bitbucket Smart Mirroring

If I understand this correctly, you will be installing a local BitBucket Server as a "Smart Mirror".  You shouldn't need a BitBucket Server or Data Center License for this.  I'm sure it will expect some configuration to point back to your Cloud Premium instance for license verification.

I haven't done this myself, so I'm not 100% sure I just know that when I setup a test Jira Data Center instance it was simply a Jira Server with a different set of config values and a different license key to support it.

I hope that helps you get started!

-Jimmy

Andy Liddle October 8, 2020

Hi Jimmy,

Yeah been reading those for a while.   From the documentation, Smart Mirroring is only supported for bitbucket server 4.10.2 to 6.5.

form the 6.6 release notes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-6-6-release-notes-975023322.html

Smart Mirrors with Bitbucket Cloud support

From version 6.6 onwards, Bitbucket Data Center must be used as the primary server for Smart Mirrors. To continue to use Bitbucket Cloud with Smart Mirrors, you’ll have to use version 6.5 or below. For details on setup and usage, see Smart mirroring for Bitbucket Cloud.

This to me, sounds like Smart Mirroring from BitBucket Cloud to a local server is no longer supported and you need to do it the other way which sounds like you need to install Bitbucket Data Center version and then mirror that to the cloud.   

I don't know if this was a business decision but It seems like you need a license for the data centre which would need Atlassian to verify if this is correct, but it seems a bit much if you're already paying for the premium cloud.

Regards

Andy

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what is written,, but the way I read that BitBucket Cloud was going to continue to support version 6.5 for smart mirroring.

Let me ask a couple of other folks to see if I can get some help on tracking down the "official" statement.

-Jimmy 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events