Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning a repo: slow speed

redmile August 13, 2013

Hi, i'm trying to clone a repo in aptana via https and also ssh, but the speed is very slow. The average speed is 10kb/s

Do you know a solution? Thanks

17 answers

5 votes
sAm April 4, 2019

Restarting doesn't help at all for me.  I've restarted both, network-connection and PC. Without success.

For me it takes now round about 5 Minutes to do a fetch and > 10 Minutes to do a push. The Network-Speed shows a short peak of 150KiB/s and after that slow down to round about 1-3KiB/s. The Screenshot shows round about 1 Minute of connection time (and the fetch was not yet finished after that)

screenshot_ 7_17_39.jpg

I've looked at the network-troubleshooting guide, and figured out, that the ping does not get a connection: 

screenshot_ 7_47_50.jpg

After all, what solve my Issue was to force ssh in ~/.ssh/config to use IPv4 with this line: 

AddressFamily inet

I don't know, why this issue happend out of the blue, because before yesterday it works like a charm without...  but this solve it for me.

hritikarthur April 4, 2019

Did you reconnected to your network or restarted your devices? 

I use mobile hot-spot for Internet, so rebooting my mobile worked and not just disconnecting and reconnecting to Internet 

sAm April 5, 2019

Yes, like I wrote in my post at the very beginning.

Matkopec August 28, 2019

Thank you very much Samuel, forcing ssh to use IPv4 also solved slow response time from bitbucket. This was driving me crazy since it would not replicate on two different PC both connected on the same network !

Andreas Spaeth April 14, 2021

Thanks from me as well!
I just started using BitBucket and had excruciatingly slow clone times which made it basically impossible to clone a repository, either via https or ssh.

My ISP does in fact only provide me with an IPv6 address.
I resolved the issue by using my company VPN which prodvides me with an IPv4 address. After connecting to the VPN the git clone was as fast as I'm used to from GitLab!

3 votes
Mikkie July 3, 2019

Same "story" here.

I think it would be faster to visit their data center on foot and copy data, than wait for "git clone"

N4anbkjZS0CNW656stLSyw

Saptarshi Patra June 24, 2021

which one is the download speed?? 15kib/s??

3 votes
blacklig February 12, 2019

Same here in 2019.. download speed from repo 60-100 kbps on 100 mbps download. No problem on ISP, everything else working perfectly. Obviously Bitbucket is being very slow and nobody pays attention. Time to move to GitHub

fischernico October 29, 2019

50 KiB/s

Germany. 50 Mbit/s connection

K-uh Pik February 8, 2020

Same here in 2020 :d
Cloning is long, pushing is long. GitHub works perfectly btw. 

pedrohf360 August 7, 2020

Same in aug/2020 :´(

Martin Dykes September 14, 2020

~500 kbps on a 1GBps connection!  Wtf Bitbucket.

quartile-media September 18, 2020

Same here in Sep 2020 mine is even shameful, 

4.8 KB/s - 689 KB of 60.3 MB, 4 hours left

1 vote
hritikarthur March 20, 2019

Hello everyone, just restart all your network devices like your modems, routers, hotspots and whatever you are using to get connected to internet. 

This worked for me.

I was also facing the same issue, everything else was getting good speed except bitbucket, but it is solved when I restarted my mobile (I was using mobile's internet using hotspot)

0 votes
subramanya_chakravarthy January 6, 2021

worst speed ever seen 3kbps, please look into this atlassian

0 votes
JohnnyBug November 10, 2020

Same issue in 2020-11-10 only 15 kiB/s

0 votes
Ashok Rabadiya May 9, 2020

Same story...

image.png

Can anyone help ?

0 votes
Ben November 2, 2019

same issue here....

have to wait for hours!

Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 15.54.30.png

fischernico November 3, 2019

same here in germany.

vpn helps

0 votes
i4ugui July 11, 2019

I am Windows 10 user, no network issues, but git pull with download files very slow

My solution: update git to latest version

0 votes
Leo Gomez June 26, 2019

I'm having the same issue. Any solution yet?

0 votes
Peter D. June 13, 2019

Having the same issue, anyone else find a good resolution?

0 votes
Romin Halltari May 22, 2019

2 hours to just checkout a 50 MB branch. Ridiculous.

0 votes
VIKAS May 17, 2019

i am also having the same issue from years sometimes cloning speed is good sometimes it really slow like 10-15kbps  

0 votes
King March 24, 2019

I tried SSH connection via ipv4, but same issue. i just turned off everything like @hritikarthur  suggestion and it's working now.

0 votes
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2014

We don't have any issues with our network that would cause this. In many cases, we've found that the route from a user's ISP to our network (NTT) to be the issue. Please work with your ISP first to determine if they can reproduce the issue. Then, review our network troubleshooting guide for assistance in things you can check that could be a cause. Finally, once you've exhausted these options, come to support with the results from the tests noted in our trhoubleshooting guide. We will be able to provide this information to our network provider.

Jai Lalawat September 12, 2017

I also faces the same issues

0 votes
g g February 20, 2014

Was this issue ever resolved? I am also experiencing slow speeds when cloning a git repo. Actually my downloads seem to get throttled after about 30% downloaded. My average speeds are 90Kbps to 150Kbps, on a gigabit network. Anyone have any additional insight on this issue?

0 votes
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

You don't say what kind of repo (Git/Mercurial) or the size of the repository. All those can make a difference in clone performance. Your network may also impact the performance. Here are some things you can do to troubleshoot:

• Clone another repo and see if the performance varies
  • Try a different protocol (you've done this)
  • Verify with your network admin that there is nothing locally
  • Review the Bitbucket status blog

redmile August 14, 2013

The repo use Git, size around 20mb

I've no problem with my network

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events