Checkout in sourcetree not working after upgrade to v2.x

Dan Neely May 15, 2017

After upgrading my client from 1.x to 2.x the Checkout in Sourcetree links in bitbucket don't work.

In Firefox I was able to change the path to sourcetree for the handler to its new location `C:\Users\dneely\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.0.20.1\SourceTree.exe` but other than a wait cursor spinning for a second in the browser nothing happens.  (And even if it did work now, won't baking the executable version number into the path mean that I'll need to fix it every time it updates).

Chrome doesn't even do that much, and I can't find a way to change the app association.   The only documented solution I could find on how to do so appears to be out of date (or Google is doing something different on Windows) because my `Local State` file doesn't have any text matching `protocol_handler` or any varients of sourcetree that I tried.

Digging into my registry based on one answer I found the following key:

>  HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-310591559-4105708594-108812639-1110\Software\Classes\sourcetree\shell\open\command

with the value:

> "C:\Users\dneely\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.0.20.1\SourceTree.exe" -url "%1"

The latter is the location that sourcetree installed itself on my computer.   Tools-Options-General-Use this version of SourceTree for URI association is checked.

After a pointer from @Hermo Terblanche that a sourcetree process was starting and dieing after a few seconds I went hunting for and found the `\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\sourecetree.log` file.  Each instance of ST that is spawning and crashing a few seconds later is writing an instance of this into the file.

ERROR [2017-06-12 10:16:29,006] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SourceTree.Host.Bitbucket.BitbucketHost.GetCanonicalUri(IConfigurationManager configurationManager)
   at SourceTree.Host.Bitbucket.BitbucketHost.get_CanonicalUrl()
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.HandleExtendedIntegrationUrl(Boolean isFirstInstance, String url)
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.ProcessArguments(Boolean isFirstInstance)
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.DoWindowStartupTasks()
   at SourceTree.ViewModel.MainWindowViewModel..ctor(IRepositoryTabContainerViewModel repositoryTabContainerViewModel, ICustomActionsManager customActionsManager, IRepositoryManager repositoryManager, IAnalyticsDataManager analyticsDataManager, ITraceManager traceManager, IDispatcher dispatcher, IAccountManager accountManager, IFailureHandler failureHandler, IDvcsManager dvcsManager, IConfigurationManager configurationManager, IInstanceManager instanceManager, ISchedulerManager schedulerManager, IWebManager webManager, IRepositoryMonitorManager repositoryMonitorManager, ISshKeyManager sshKeyManager, INotificationsManager notificationsManager, IPreferencesManager preferencesManager)
   at SourceTree.MainWindow..ctor(IRepositoryTabContainerViewModel repositoryTabContainerViewModel, ICustomActionsManager customActionsManager, IRepositoryManager repositoryManager, IAnalyticsDataManager analyticsDataManager, ITraceManager traceManager, IDispatcher dispatcher, IAccountManager accountManager, IFailureHandler failureHandler, IDvcsManager dvcsManager, IConfigurationManager configurationManager, IInstanceManager instanceManager, ISchedulerManager schedulerManager, IWebManager webManager, IRepositoryMonitorManager repositoryMonitorManager, IApplicationManager applicationManager, ISshKeyManager sshKeyManager, INotificationsManager notificationsManager, IBookmarkManager bookmarkManager, IPreferencesManager preferencesManager)
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

Still not working in  2.1.2.5

Just tried uninstalling, nuking all sourcetree related data I could find from my system and reinstalling.  This included:

1.  All Sourcetree registry keys.

2.   C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\*

3.   C:\Users\dneely\AppData\Local\SourceTree\*

4.  C:\Users\dneely\AppData\Local\SourceTree-Settings\*

5.  C:\Programdata\Atalassian\*

After doing all of this and reinstalling I still get a second sourcetree prosess spawning for several seconds and then dieing without launching the checkout in sourcetree dialog.

2017/08/11 update.  Still broken in 2.1.10.0

7 answers

6 votes
Deleted user May 15, 2017

Hi Dan,

Try toggling the setting called: Use this version of SourceTree for URI association

Tools > Options >General

There is a setting "Use this version of SourceTree for URI association" this should be checked.

If it is but the clone from Bitbucket is still not triggering SourceTree, can you try toggling that option off then on again. This should force a re-write of the registry setting needed by Windows.

I stole this answer from Michale Minns.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-6350

Dan Neely May 15, 2017

I just tried that; it was initially checked and unchecking and rechecking it didn't work.  I also tried restarting sourcetree after clearing the checkbox and then settting it again in case the setting wasn't immediately written to the registry.  The uncheck/recheck states came through, but after being rechecked it still didn't work.

bquirk May 16, 2017

Thanks this worked for me. I had to uncheck it, save the dialog, then re-open and re-check the setting before it would work.

Deleted user May 16, 2017

Didn't work for me either :(

rshelby May 19, 2017

This worked for me.  I restarted sourcetree after eachstep (uncheck, restart, check, restart).

Also helpful was trying in I.E..  I got an error dialog complaining about the protocol (hinting that is was having problems linking to the correct app to handle the link).

Good reference: https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/9593/clone-in-sourcetree-button-broken-bb-10694

note: after updating to sourcetree v2.0.20.1 my external compare was broken as well.  I had to setup git for the external compare and then it began working again.  This was a good fix: https://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs

painful updates but source tree v2 is so much nicer!  worth it.

Nino Palana May 26, 2017

This worked for me.  I followed Richard's steps. 2 hours of scratching my head then I came across this post.  Thank you!

dabdemon May 29, 2017

Thank you guys! I was struggling to put this option back after 2.X update with no luck. Life is beautiful again.

Regards!

P.S.: I also followed Richard's recommendations about restarting SourceTree after each step. Worked like a charm.

Deleted user June 29, 2017

Thank you, Dan, It Worked for me.

François Halet August 2, 2017

Thanks, it worked for me also !

Joel Wesseling August 9, 2017

I have the exact same problem as Dan, and none of the proposed solutions work for me either.

2.1.2.5 and Windows 8.1

James Spielvogel October 6, 2017

This worked for me.  I unchecked the box and saved.  I then went back to options and rechecked the box and saved again. This time, the "Open In Source Tree" box worked.  Do NOT try to pick the executable file, that just doesn't work.  The "sourcetree" option in the list with no icon seems to be the entry for the app associated with the URI.  Unrelated, but why the hell is the app installed under AppData instead of program files like every other windows application?  It's not exactly the most secure location for an executable.

Dimi Christop March 30, 2018

Worked for me. Thanks

2 votes
Didier Poulain January 3, 2018

Still not fixed in 2.4.7.0

I'm on Windows 10.

The process launched is:

"C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.4.7\SourceTree.exe" -url "sourcetree://checkoutRef/?ref=
refs/heads/XXXXXXXX&cloneUrl=git@bitbucket.org:xxxxx/xxxxxx.git&type=bitbucket"

SourceTree starts and then exists immediately. I tried all suggested solutions.

Dan Neely January 3, 2018

Where did you find 2.4.7?  I'm not seeing anything newer than 2.3.5.

Didier Poulain January 3, 2018

I got an auto update this morning.

image.png

Dan Neely January 3, 2018

Do they do staged rollouts?  I'm not seeing an update when I use the in app check feature, and their website's offering me 2.3.5 on its download page.

I can get 2.4.7 by manually editing the download URL...

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Yes, we do staged rollouts and 2.4.7 is at 75% I believe.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hello! Yes, we do staged rollouts. Additionally, I can confirm that this is a bug and a fix will be included in the next release.

Sorry about that!

Chris Barnett January 12, 2018

Hi @Mike Corsaro, are you confirming that "Check out in Sourcetree" not working is a bug?

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
January 12, 2018

Yep, this is a known bug that's already been patched in our dev branches. This will be fixed in the next 2.4.X release.

Joseph Moore February 9, 2018

Any Idea when that update is happening? I've been dealing with the bug for the better part of a year.

Dan Neely February 9, 2018

It looks like it's in pre-release or A/B testing at the moment.  Not linked on the home page but the notes are up and download link is live.

https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/update/windows/ga/ReleaseNotes_2.4.8.0.html

https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.4.8.0.exe

I've been working on a mac recently so I haven't tested to see if the fix works yet.

Joseph Moore February 9, 2018

It does!

1 vote
bquirk May 15, 2017

also experiencing this issue after upgrading to 2.x this morning. In the meantime you can fetch from origin and check the branch out that way until it gets fixed.

0 votes
SowmyaHari January 30, 2018

hey is there a fix ?

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2018

Hello! This issue will be fixed in the 2.4.8 release which should be available in the next week or so.

0 votes
Dean Kinane July 14, 2017

Hi Dan

Did you ever get this working again?

I have the same issue since upgrading to v2.

Currently on 2.1.2.5 and it's still l not fixed.

I've tried all the suggestions and nothing has worked for me.

Best regards,

Dean

Dan Neely July 14, 2017

nope, I'm still stuck too.

Dean Kinane July 14, 2017

That's a shame. 

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update.

Dan Neely July 14, 2017

Atlassian's well past the point where they've lost all my good will by refusing to publicly acknowlege that there's a lingering problem that can't be fixed by turning it off and back on.  They've probably permanently written themselves out of consideration for anything where I get to choose the techstack (vs my employer doing so).  As is, I'm only still using sourctree because I've been too busy to try out replacements.  

If that afternoon of free time happens before they can be bothered to fix this - or more likely fix it by accident - I'll be gone never to return.  Even then I still might leave.  None of the 1.x performance fail cases they supposedly flxed ever affected me; and 2.x is constantly decorating itself with wait spinners for things that just worked before a foreverday security bug forced me to downgrade to the newer version of the product.

Joel Wesseling August 9, 2017

I have the exact same problem, and none of the proposed solutions work for me either.

2.1.2.5 and Windows 8.1

Dean Kinane August 11, 2017

I had yet another issue after updating to version 2.1.10 today where authentication was broken so I literally couldn't do any operations on the remote repositories.

I've rolled back to 1.9 and everything is working perfectly again including the URI association.

I highly recommend going back to 1.9 :)

Dan Neely August 11, 2017

1.x has a major unpatched security vulnerability.  If it wasn't for that I never would've left 1.10.x.  2.x is garbage even without this bug.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb/sourcetree-security-advisory-2017-05-10-900820365.html

0 votes
Deleted user June 12, 2017

I created an interesting workable solution for this bug. It is capable to  "Checkout in SourceTree" even when SourceTree is not already running.

The idea is based on a batch file that first launches SourceTree normally, and soon thereafter launches it again with the -url parameter.

Instead of having the original value in the sourcetree/shell/open/command registry key

"C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.0.20.1\SourceTree.exe" -url "%1"

you replace the above value with

"C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\CheckoutInSourceTree.cmd" "%1"

The content of CheckoutInSourceTree.cmd looks like this:

setlocal
pushd "c:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.0.20.1"
START sourcetree.exe
TIMEOUT /T 1
START sourcetree.exe -url %1

Let me know how this works for you!

setlocal resets your environment to whatever path was the current directory before running the batch

timeout is necessary to make sure that the first instance of sourcetree is started before calling it again with the -url parameter

Dan Neely June 12, 2017

This didn't work for me, but since my install is more broken than yours in that checkout in sourcetree doesn't work in both the running and not running cases I didn't expect it to.  The only visible impact was that in task manager I now have two ephemeral copies of ST starting and then dying a few seconds later.

Deleted user June 13, 2017

Sorry to hear. If you only tested with the batch file you could verify if it still does not work if you start SourceTree manually, wait till it shows the UI, and then see what Checkout in SourceTree does.

You can also increase the timeout in the batch between the two calls to sourcetree.exe. Maybe on slower machines this timeout need to be bigger. I've found that if I completely remove the timeout, it does not work for me either as it does not guarantee that the first call to sourcetree.exe happens before the second.

Dan Neely June 13, 2017

Having source tree started first does *NOTHING* for me.  Until I saw your answer yesterday I didn't know that hitting the open in sourcetree link would ever start the application if it wasn't already running.  I always used it with the app launched as part of my startup opening sequence.

0 votes

I am also experiencing the issue. It seem to only work if SourceTree is already running before you click "Checkout in Sourcetree" from the browser.

If SourceTree is not running before clicking "Checkout in SourceTree", nothing happens. I can momentarily see the SourceTree process starting, but it soon disappears thereafter.

This used to work in v 1.x

I have tried all the workarounds, but believe the issue is not with the registry setting, but the actual exe.

Dan Neely June 12, 2017

It's not working for me either way.  Task manager shows a second sourcetree process spin up if I have it already running, but like the second one in the case where it was already running, it goes away after a few seconds without doing anything.

It's been nearly a month, and I'm getting increasingly frustrated by Atlassian's lack of response.  Especially since the security flaws in 1.x mean that I can't downgrade to a working version while they try to figure it out.

Great work with finding the logs. Lets hope this provides them enough info to fix this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events