Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant clone to none empty folder

Schroef January 15, 2017

Im just starting with Github, BitBucket and SourceTree and im following this tutorial one how to use SourceTree and clone online folder to local folder.

At a certain part we need to clone a online repo to local folder using SourceTree. In the tutorial they change the local path the the path we've already setup earlier in the tutorial. So we need to change the path in the popup to your location path.

But im getting this error "Can't clone into none empty folder", while in the tutorial they can. Im now stuck here, ofcourse i can delete local folder. But im not sure that's a good workflow.

best regards,

Rombout

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Schroef January 20, 2017

Yes, here ya go. Then search for this part "I'm using SourceTree!"

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2017

Sounds like you went through the "I'm using Git!" steps prior to starting the "I'm using SourceTree!".

I think the assumption is that you'll do one or the other, because SourceTree is correct in telling you that you can't clone into a non-empty directory.

You can proceed by either choosing a different directory, or by deleting the contents in the existing one (assuming this is all tutorial stuff, that shouldn't be a problem. Don't delete real work though!)

Schroef January 23, 2017

According to the tutorial and how they state it. To me its sounds like "we are going to overwrite this location". Here's the part which clearly says this is the location we used earlier;

From the Clone New window, update the Destination Path to <local directory>/repos/myteamquotes/. This destination path refers to the repos directory you just previously created for repositories.

Im a non English speaker but i do understand this and clearly shows a error then. Shouldnt they adjust this tutorial then if it cant be done like that?

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2017

Got a link to the tutorial?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events