Cannot login with Bitbucket in SourceTree after linking with Atlassian ID/Google

Naëm Baron September 24, 2016

Hello

I cannot login on Bitbucket in SourceTree anymore. I have just completed the merge between my Bitbucket profile and Atlassian ID.

The important point is that I login to my Atlassian ID with my Google credentials, so no specific login/password.

I think the issue is due to SourceTree trying to connect with my previous Bitbucket login/password. I should probably provide the login/password used for my Atlassian ID, but since I am using Google "auto-login", I do not have them directly.

I have tried to set back a classic login process with Atlassian ID, but this not seems possible.

How to correctly setup Bitbucket in SourceTree in my situation ?

Or, how to remove Google login and revert to a standard login/password on Atlassian ID ?

Thank you in advance.

16 answers

2 accepted

22 votes
Answer accepted
Sunil Raman August 9, 2018

For those struggling with Git, Bitbucket and Windows authentication, try installing the latest Windows Git Credential Manager: https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/releases

kieseld August 22, 2018

This fixed my issue with login constantly popping up and not taking my credentials.

Like # people like this
Shahar Ben David December 6, 2018

worked!

Ovidiu Gabriel December 9, 2018

This is not solving my problem. I have installed SourceTree on 3 computers. l have 2FA active and on 2 computers I am using "app passwords" they worked very well until now. 

On the 3rd computer I am trying to do the same thing. I already installed Git Credential Manager for Windows but nothing improved. Are you sure you don't have a bug on the servers? 

I don't know why login worked before and now it is not working.

Like # people like this
robson_douglas January 17, 2019

Thank you!!!

kevin.shortridge January 21, 2019

Thank you, this worked for me.

Pablo Fernandez January 28, 2019

Thanks works for me

Ranvijay Bhaskar February 22, 2019

Thanks a lot man, Worked for me as well.

Neil Prakasam July 2, 2019

worked for me. Used the default username and not the email

trotter50 November 27, 2019

This didn't do it for me. But reinstalling Sourcetree worked

lmuffatti March 24, 2020

Yes, it works

The update change the bitbucket.org login form so now it's working

Frank-Heinen April 4, 2020

I'm not sure why the hell this works, and I think it is stupid that it's needed to install additional software from an external source to do it, but it does work...

Like lmuffatti likes this
Ruan Silvis August 29, 2020

Worked for me, thank you

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2016

Hi Naëm,

Since one of the steps of the upgrade process was to input your Atlassian account password, you should now have a password set (in addition to being able to use Google). You should be able to use your Bitbucket username and Atlassian account password to authenticate SourceTree.

If you need to reset your Atlassian account password, you can do so here: https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword

Thanks,

Alastair

5 votes
hasitha_amarasena January 18, 2018

Same issue. Can connect to bitbucket web but not with the source tree with the same credentials.

hexmediamail@gmail.com January 29, 2018

Have same issue. Driving me nuts.

Like # people like this
AndyGabler February 10, 2018

Did either of you manage to resolve this issue? I have been having the same issue.

kalmenchia February 11, 2018

yes, me too , windows 7 professional 32 bit , sourcetree 2.7g , can login web , bitbucket and also atlassian account , but cannot login using sourcetree , even have gone to set the IE and make security to the lowest for all zones , any one found solutions ?

Rather use the previous version, which was working flawlessly.

AndyGabler February 11, 2018

I got it to work. I completely closed Git and SourceTree. I then when into Bitbucket as if to checkout my code. Instead of cloning in SourceTree, I used the Git command it suggested from the Terminal in SourceTree. It asked for my password and took it when I did this.

Like # people like this
kalmenchia February 13, 2018

Hi , after so many tries ... until almost tempted to scream , finally , i check my internet explorer , it is ancient version 9 , i updated to version 11 and bingo ... everything work fine now .... have been a while since i CARE about the IE ! haha ... hope this help for those who are having problem signing in , in your windows 7 professional.

3 votes
sec feed July 22, 2018

Yeah, just did another install on my second computer and it doesn't accept my login details, It seems like the issue is Sourcetree. I also have no issue logging into the website. Guess Ill have to use github desktop, sheesh. These apps are meant to make our work faster, this just wasted half a day of my time. Windows 10 here.

Not too mention the bad instructions on how to setup sourcetree, I just had to guess what to do, instructions are no help. I managed to get it to work out of pure luck lol.

Deleted user October 14, 2018

I am having this problem now and it's so frustrating

Like Dan Constantinescu likes this
Dave Sugrue October 14, 2018

Hi Alexandra,

have you gone through the various suggestions on this page? I (and many colleagues) had the same problem and we resolved it with the following:

As at 13 Aug 2018 a recent update to Windows Git Credential Manager has resulted in a conflict, preventing you from successfully logging on to Bitbucket from Sourcetree (you will constantly be hit with popups asking for your login details and ultimately, the push/pull etc failing). This was resolved in this release of Windows Git Credential Manager. Simply follow the onscreen instructions, download and run the exe. Everything should work fine afterwards.

Like Alfredo Mancilla likes this
Alfredo Mancilla December 5, 2018

This worked, thank you.

2 votes
WEBCODER LTD (EU) November 5, 2018

Mac OSX 10.13.3 same issue - am entering correct Bitbucket server base url, username and password and am getting Login failed all the time... what a waste of time... I have SSH private key added to my key manager.

I just downloaded the latest SourceTree (funny - it doesn't even allow you to look up version before authentication - what a nonsense!). Have an older version on another machine and it's still working. Wasting more and more time with Atlassian products = starting to decrease my productivity significantly.

2 votes
lauxjpn October 24, 2018

I was re-prompted to login for months.

This is how I fixed it under Windows:

1. Close all open tabs in SourceTree.
  2. Remove all Accounts under Tools -> Options -> Authentication.
  3. Close SourceTree.
  4. Open Windows own "Credential Manager".
  5. Click "Windows Credentials".
  6. Remove all git or SourceTree related credentials (everything starting with "git:" or something similar to "source-tree-rest:" (don't have this one anymore to look it up)).
  7. Start SourceTree and reenter the correct passwords of your accounts when prompted. This should be the last prompts you will see.
  8. You might have to edit your repository settings to edit and save it's remotes.

Beware, that SourceTree is going to prompt you to login one time for every repository (not account) it knows about (not just open tabs), when it feels like checking for changes for the first time after you completed the above steps and you have to login every time providing your password.

Only after that, SourceTree will finally stay quiet again.

2 votes
andrefigas October 4, 2018

i am having the same problem

Dave Sugrue October 14, 2018

Hi André,

have you gone through the above suggestions? I (and many colleagues) had the same problem and we resolved it with the following:

As at 13 Aug 2018 a recent update to Windows Git Credential Manager has resulted in a conflict, preventing you from successfully logging on to Bitbucket from Sourcetree (you will constantly be hit with popups asking for your login details and ultimately, the push/pull etc failing). This was resolved in this release of Windows Git Credential Manager. Simply follow the onscreen instructions, download and run the exe. Everything should work fine afterwards.

2 votes
Matthew_Edwards August 7, 2018

I'm having the same issue now.  I'm prompted for password every time SourceTree attempts to talk with BitBucket.  Even after I fill in the username and password, SourceTree says it has an empty password.  Using git commands I'm able to log in.  I'm also able to log into BitBucket and other Atlassian sites with the same account.

2018-08-07_9-27-14.png

2018-08-07_9-26-44.png

Trevor Nelson August 7, 2018

I'm having the same problem. Using the terminal seems to circumvent it though.

Jeramie Hammond August 7, 2018

I'm having the same issue. Sourcetree won't accept my login information anymore.

Matthew_Edwards August 7, 2018

I tried switching to SSH and it didn't fix this either, so I'm thinking SourceTree is confused about some cached account information.  (which means: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36467893/sourcetree-installation-atlassian-login-stuck/46669458?noredirect=1#comment82510007_46669458 might solve this too)

Personally I uninstalled (and deleted the LocalData SourceTree Folder) and then reinstalled and that seems to have solved this for me.  That said, I'm still using SSH so that could also be part of the fix.  

Like Harrison Fenton-fearn likes this
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2018

Hello! This issue is most likely being caused by an issue in the Git Credential Manager. There's currently a pull-request in review to solve this.

https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/pull/706

Bryan Jameson August 7, 2018

I'm having the same issue.  When the pull-Request gets merged, what do we need to do to make it work again?

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
August 7, 2018

You'll have to download and install the new release of the Git Credential Manager. As a work-around you can also try the following:

• Remove all "Bitbucket" credentials in the Windows Credential Manager (under Windows Credentials)
  • Switch your URL for your repository to use the SSH url (open the repo, hit "settings", double click on the 'origin' and replace with the SSH url from Bitbucket)
  • Finally, add a new SSH key to Sourcetree and Bitbucket

SSH doesn't require a password prompt or username, so it won't have any of these issues.

Like Komal Bhimani likes this
Jeramie Hammond August 7, 2018

@Mike Corsaro, installing the most recent GCM for Windows worked for me.

Bryan Jameson August 7, 2018

I got mine to work by removing my username from the remote in each repo and then adding an account in Soucetree that used OATH and setting it to the default.

2 votes
master_toma July 15, 2018

The same. It's ridiculous. I can authorize via git's command line, but sourcetreeapp stopped working. Windows 10 and Windows 7 on other PC. 

1 vote
Harrison Fenton-fearn June 3, 2020

I had this problem, I solved it by fully uninstalling it and reinstalling it:

1. Uninstall Source Tree using the Control Panel
  2. Install "GCMW-1.20.0.exe" from Git Credential Manager 
  3. Delete "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Atlassian" and its content
  4. Delete "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\SourceTree" and its content
  5. Delete "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian" and its content
  6. Install Source Tree and follow the setup

After loading up Sourcetree, it worked without problems.

1 vote
chauhan01 January 13, 2020

I face same issue and the finally found the solution.

under Tools -> Options -> Authentication.

You have to open the Authentication option ( under Tools -> Options -> Authentication.) and then click on Edit.

After arriving on edit screen. Click on Refresh OAuth Token. 

And finally the refresh token is assigned and issue will be fixed

sourcetree error 2020-01-13 143055.png

Dan Constantinescu March 10, 2020

This fixed the problem.

Like chauhan01 likes this
1 vote
icaromagalhaes October 14, 2018

Hi, I am having the same problem on MacOS. My username is the same for both GitHub and Bitbucket.

1 vote
Michael Mock October 26, 2016

I have a similar problem, can't login to Bitbucket Cloud from SourceTree because it won't accept my Bitbucket username and my Atlassian ID password.

I had another Bitbucket account that this was effecting, and I got it working by using the old Bitbucket password.

That's not possible for a new account now, you have to sign up with the Atlassian ID.

It is not possible to enter your Atlassian ID info into SourceTree, it specifically will not let you use an email address for a username.

How is this not a bigger problem for people?

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2016

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues authenticating in SourceTree. The behavior you're describing is strange! Are you able to log into Bitbucket Cloud using that password? If yes, but it's not working in SourceTree, can you send an email to support@bitbucket.org so we can investigate?

Thank you!

Alastair

Sonia January 18, 2018

I am experiencing the same issue. Is there any known fix for this?

Sonia January 18, 2018

To be clear: I am able to login on Bitbucket Cloud using my password but not in Sourcetree. I even tried changing the password and that did not work in Sourcetree, but again I could login with the new password on BitBucket Cloud. I double checked the username and it is correct. no Idea what is going on...

ahmed.amer@Kony.com February 19, 2018

Also, i am having the same issue, any body can help us

Đông Lê Quang April 20, 2018

Longtime but no answer about this error. I have same issue now, and don't know how to fix it.

I can login to bitbucket cloud with that account as normally.
But both sourceTree and git terminal request credentials when I try to clon repository.

ahmade April 27, 2018

I am facing same issue as well , any solution ?

Joshua June 20, 2018

having exact same issue, I can log into bitbucket and atlassian but not sourcetree with the same login info.

Shay Ingber July 12, 2018

same here.

Daniel Swinney July 15, 2018

Same here.  OSX El Capitan

Martijn van Deel July 31, 2018

Same issue. I can login to Bitbucket, but when i`m installing Sourcetree, my credentials cannot be validated. Maybe we all should switch to Github...

0 votes
Ganiyu Sodiq Olaniyi December 20, 2019

sourcetree ganiyu sodiq.PNGI solved this problem by installing a previous version. You can get all the versions when you scroll to the bottom of sourcetreeapp homepage.

Zahrah Musa January 28, 2020

This worked for me.

Thanks

0 votes
deanwilliammills November 13, 2019

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
August 2, 2018

Hello! If you're having issues logging into Bitbucket Cloud on Sourcetree for Windows, please try and use the "OAuth" option for login:

oauth.PNG

If you're having issues with logging into Sourcetree for the first time with your Atlassian Account (not Bitbucket Server), then it's probably an issue with your IE11 settings. You can find help in this post.

Note: the next release of Sourcetree will allow you to login via Bitbucket Cloud directly to help solve most of these issues.

don_gil October 24, 2018

this dont works for me: 

fatal: HttpRequestException encountered.
An error occurred while sending the request.

remote: Invalid username or password

After it sourcetree try to open login on bitbucket. 

harsha_pr November 24, 2018

Sourcetree on Mac OS 10.13.6 does not work.

It is stuck on an endless loop. Trying to get password. 

The UI is unintuitive and sucks. Git is free by Linus.... **1** guy. All you have to do is write is write a GUI client.

I just switched to Eclipse with eGit plugin. Its beautiful. To look at git history representation and also ease of use.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events