Cannot find (empty) GIT branch created via bitbucket

Brian Withun July 26, 2017

In my existing GIT repository hosted by bitbucket.org, when I create a new branch via bitbucket I cannot find it later.

Having created a feature branch, I can fetch the branch and commit to it and push up changes successfully, that is not my question.

My question is, PRIOR to commiting any changesets to this branch, how can I see and administer this branch from bitbucket.org?  There is no sign of this branch from the "branches" page.

It seems that I have to commit and push at least one changeset before bitbucket will admit that this branch exists.

What I've begun doing is bookmarking the URL of the landing page after creating a new branch (e.g. https://bitbucket.org/my-team/my-project/branch/feature/my-feature ).  Using this bookmarked URL I can get back to a place where I can see the branch, and delete the branch if needed.

1 answer

0 votes
lumoura
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2017

Hello Brian,

Using BitBucket, if you go to your repository and then click on Branches you`ll be able to see two filters like the image below. Just click on each filter to see what branch are nested on each filter.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 3.03.11 PM.png 

The filter "Active" shows you the branches that are ahead of the main branch.

The filter "Merged" shows you the branches that are not ahead of the main branch.

Usually, when we just create the branch and did not make any changes, it will appear under the "Merged" filter.

Plus, I believe that this documentation may help you.

Regards,

Lucas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events