Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to OnDemand-hosted Subversion repo with XCode - certificate error

Dylan O'Mahony January 24, 2012

I have been happily using our hosted Subversion repository that comes with OnDemand JIRA/Fisheye/Crucible - it works great from Eclipse, Tortoise, command line etc. However, when I try to connect to the repo from XCode, I am presented with an error (see the attached screenshot). I've tried importing the certificate into my OS X keychain, marking it as trusted, importing the GoDaddy/Starfield root certificate etc., but still no dice.

The steps that I take are:

1. Open XCode and, from the main splash screen, hit "Connect to a Repository"
  2. Type in https://abcd.jira.com/svn (let's pretend my account is called 'abcd') - XCode does recognize the URL, and determines that authentication is necessary, so this seems like the correct URL. Hit 'Next'
  3. Give the repo an arbitrary name, leaving the preselection of 'Subversion' in the dropdown. Hit 'Checkout'
  4. Enter my Atlassian OnDemand credentials into the popup that appears and submit them.
  5. This is where I get the alert, which contains the text:

Error validating server certificate for 'https://abcd.jira.com:443':

- The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!

Certificate information: - Hostname: *.jira.com

Has anybody else tried to use XCode as a Subversion client for an Atlassian OnDemand instance? Any pointers as to how to work around the error/alert? How do I use the fingerprint to validate the certificate manually?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Low February 11, 2012

Dylan's workaround requires a whole bunch of stuff to be installed. The dependency tree for that stuff is complicated, to put it charitably. Note that I didn't say complex; I said complicated. Instead, it's much, much quicker and simpler to do the following:

1. Open Terminal.
  2. Make a manual SVN checkout attempt: svn co https://...
  3. When it asks you to accept the certificate temporarily or permanently, say permanently, with pleasure.
  4. When the checkout's done, revisit Xcode and retry the repo connection. Hey, look, it works now! You didn't have to waste a bunch of time installing other crap!

BTW, the above was stolen shamelessly from: Xcode 4 Source Control Woes

Dylan O'Mahony February 12, 2012

Much better solution - thanks, Chris!

0 votes
Dylan O'Mahony January 25, 2012

OK, so here's a workaround - use Eclipse (via the Subclipse plugin) on the same machine to connect to the same SVN repo, and when prompted you can "Accept Permanently" the cert. Voila - problem solved in XCode also.

Two things with this:

1. The problem only seems to exist on the OS X operating system - Windows and Subclipse didn't complain at all about the cert. Perhaps different root CAs installed?
  2. This is not a final solution, clearly - there must be some way in OS X to accept these 'budget' Atlassian/GoDaddy/Starfield certs!
NikE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Moved your comment down and marked it as answered so it would pay out your karma. Thanks for posting your solution!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events