Can you start a pipeline by branch + tag?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configure bitbucket-pipelines.yml

We'd like to be able to start a pipeline by using a specific tag on a branch. Our setup has 6 environments, production, staging, int-a, dev-a, int-b and dev-b. We are using a custom git-flow workflow with master, develop, feature/*, defect/*, release/* and hotfix/* branches. We'd like to direct the same release/* branch to start two different pipelines, depending upon a git tag. By default, the release/* branch would trigger a build and deploy to int-a, but once we're happy with this at some point in the future, we could trigger a build and deploy for this release branch to int-b using the tag. So, always trigger the build and deploy to int-a, and only build and deploy to int-b when a specific tag or tag pattern is added to the branch.

I know we could just use two different branches, but extending for the tag would be grand.

If you have it, bonus, how do I do that then?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

This feature has meanwhile been implemented, though not yet documented - refer to the latest comments on the following issue for details:

Haven't tried this yet, but according to the link provided, this features is now available.

Thanks @Adrian Hristov, I've rephrased the answer accordingly.

This widget could not be displayed.

From what I understand the answer is no, it is either tags or branches. I could not figure out a way to trigger a pipeline based on both.

I understand the same way but how can I make the difference between a tag on master branch and a tag on development branch? A workaround would be a prefix "prod_*" and "dev_*" but I doubt this is the most clever solution

We also really need to be able to trigger a pipeline for a particular branch tag

I could not find a way to do that. If a pipeline is triggered by a tag it will triggered by that tag regardless the branch. As a workaround, I am using tags that contain `rc` to refer to staging branch while tags with no `rc` refer to production branch. I do not like this workaround but I could not find another solution.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,319 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you