Can you migrate all the branches in a repo from bitbucket server to bitbucket cloud?

Kit Lou May 4, 2017

We are looking at switching from using bitbucket server to bitbucket cloud.  We have been able to migrate only the master branch of a repository in our prototype.  

Is it possible to migrate all the branches?   What are the steps?

We also do not see a way to migrate pull requests.  Is it possible?

Thanks!

KL

1 answer

0 votes
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

Bitbucket can be viewed as just another remote Git repository, so ensure that you have the latest commits on your local repository and then add your bitbucket.org repo as another remote and use standard git commands to push all the branches.

Unfortunately it is not yet possible to import pull requests (see latest comments on BSERV-3555).

Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

Personally, I prefer to do this via "git clone --mirror" followed with a "git push --mirror" instead of adjusting my remotes.

The "git clone --mirror" will tantalizingly grab a bunch of internal "pull" refs, but they're of no use.  Like Gareth Cantrell said, you can't actually migrate the pull requests.   So instead I just clean them out before pushing to the new git server.

Here's the actual commands I type:

git clone --mirror [original-clone-url]
cd [original-clone]
git for-each-ref --format='%(refname)' 'refs/pull-requests/'  | xargs -l  git update-ref -d
git push --mirror [new-clone-url]

When migrating FROM Bitbucket Server you need to clean out all refs under "refs/pull-requests/".   When migrating FROM Github, the refs are under 'refs/pull/'.  And so adjust the commands above to suit the situation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events