Can we have more bitbucket storage space?

Paul Baranowski November 11, 2015

We have large repos - one that is 2GB and another approaching 1GB. Is it possible for you to increase the quota for specific repos?  I am assuming you have quotas to prevent abuse, but as you can probably tell our repos are all code. 

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2015

The 2GB limit is not just to fend off abuse. It is also in place as Git and Mercurial aren't terribly well designed to deal with large repositories and files. Performance generally suffers as repositories grow exceptionally large.

As a consequence, we do not sell higher repo limits.

Typical scenarios where repos grow large involve projects that contains binary assets (as opposed to just code/text). Some commit their dependencies, while game projects often have gigabytes of artwork.

While these use cases are normal, Git and Mercurial aren't very suited to managing them and the recommended way to deal with this is generally to try and decouple binary assets from the code. For instance, using a dependency management system instead of committing dependencies.

Changing your workflow and getting files out of your repo in order to reduce its size can be a little tricky. An earlier blogpost discusses some techniques. For the future, we are looking into adopting Git LFS which should make it a little easier to manage binary files.

3 votes
Chris Walsh May 12, 2019

basically cripples bitbucket for using with unity...bye!

3 votes
Aiuursrage2k June 1, 2017

are you kidding me 2 gigs is so small 

0 votes
Aiuursrage2k June 1, 2017

i cant believe git is the standard solution it completly and utterly SUCKS 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events