Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start service after update to 5.9.0

Kevin Brown March 22, 2018

We were running 5.8.0 with no problems.  After receiving the security bulletin yesterday I grabbed 5.9.0 and upgraded my server instance.  It removed the existing services and on the last screen of the installer it hung for a while before failing to start bitbucket.

Since then I renamed my bitbucket program directory and tried the upgrade again.  This time it worked and started bitbucket in console windows.  However no service was configured.  I used the service batch file to create the service and the config options listed looked correct, however it failed to create the elasticsearch service and if I try to start the bitbucket service it immediately ends with a "The Atlassian Bitbucket BITBUCKET service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s)." or similar message in the system event log.  

Elasticsearch fails with this message when I try to run service.bat install:

Installing service : "BITBUCKET_SEARCH"
Using JAVA_HOME (64-bit): "C:\Java\jdk1.8.0_45"
FINDSTR: Cannot open C:\Atlassian\Bitbucket\5.9.0\elasticsearch\config\jvm.options
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

I also tried updating the account the bitbucket service runs under to an administrator account and it still fails with the same message.

From what I can see no log files are generated in the logs folder when the service fails to start (they are generated when I run in the console).  Nothing useful appears in the system event log (other than the message mentioned above)

For now I can run bitbucket in the console, but it would be far preferable to be able to run it as a service.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I've been at this the last several hours and am out of ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin

2 answers

0 votes
Sushil Ranjan June 29, 2018

Hi @Kevin Brown,

We have same issue after upgrade from 5.41 to 5.10.1, was your issue resolved? Can you share solution please.

Thanks!

Kevin Brown June 29, 2018

Hi @Sushil Ranjan

Unfortunately I haven't had time to look at this any further, I was working on something else by the time the suggestion to send a ticket came in and just haven't gotten back to it.  We're still running manually on the command line after a reboot

Sushil Ranjan June 29, 2018

Hi @[deleted] - No Problem.. I got solution now..Please refer to the link

You have to edit service.bat file and install elasticsearch service.

Thanks

Sushil

0 votes
Juan Palacios
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2018

Hi @Kevin Brown,

Sorry to hear about your upgrade issues. Could I ask you to please open a support ticket? The team will ask you for more information about your environment (which they can't do in a public forum like this) and will give you instructions on how to resolve the issue.

Regards

Juan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events