Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can't sign in: Either endless Bitbucket.org "Sign in" popups or Atlassian "We couldn't log you in"

I'm a long time Jira Cloud user that wants to explore using Bitbucket for my company. 

When I go to Bitbucket.org and try to log in, I'm taken to id.atlassian.com where I enter my Atlassian ID (Larry@HolyCowOnlineMarketing.com) and password. This appears to work, but when I get back to Bitbucket.org, I see endless "Sign in" popups whenever I try to do anything (even though it appears I'm logged in) and there's a "Something went wrong" message near the bottom of the screen:

2022-05-17_17-12-13.png

If I log out and try to log in again, I appears to work, but I'm sent back to Bitbucket.org and NOT logged in. Then when I press the Log In button again, I see "We couldn't log you in":

2022-05-17_17-14-30.png

I've tried this in the latest version of three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Safari) and in a Chrome Incognito (private) window. It behaves the same everywhere.

What am I doing wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Atlassian Team May 18, 2022

Hey Larry!

I've just checked your workspace and the account has been deactivated by the organisational admin of the domain.
You will need to reach out to them to reactivate your account, as we are unable to make changes to managed accounts.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Thanks for the lead, Ben. I am the admin of the domain. My account is active, I use Jira Cloud all the time. I don't recall deactivating anything. So where do I go next?

Also, just to be clear, when you say "reach out to them to reactivate your account", are you talking about the Atlassian (Jira) side of things or the Bitbucket side? I'm assuming the Atlassian side.

Suggestion: The error message when logging in says:

You may run into this issue when you use specific browsers or add-ons that hide the referer header for id.atlassian.com and other Atlassian sites. Check for these and then try logging in again.

It doesn't even hint at "the account may have been deactivated by the organisational admin of the domain." Perhaps something like that could be added to the message with a link to an article about this.

P.S. For another task, I just now changed our Atlassian "primary domain" from "companionsoftware" to "holycow" (i.e. holycow.atlassian.net). So the old one redirects to the new one in case you are looking at things from that side.

Ben Atlassian Team May 19, 2022

Hey Larry,

My apologies, I should have clarified that only the Bitbucket Cloud workspace was de-activated for your account, not any other Atlassian services. If you do not remember de-activating this, it could have been due to the account simply being de-activated automatically after a period of non-usage.

Usually for managing products you would access this via admin.atlassian.com - this allows you to control which services the account has access to.

I have re-activated your Bitbucket Cloud workspace manually, so you should be able to log in using your HolyCow domain email account (you may have to reset the password when prompted if you are unable to gain access).

I agree with your point about the error message not being clear, and have reported this accordingly.

Let me know if you have any further issues.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Thanks, Ben. This is much more well-behaved now. Onward!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,178 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you