Can bitbucket.io be used to serve html pages from another branch?

clx-evento-efhg June 29, 2017

I use "bitbucket.io" as described in https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/publishing-a-website-on-bitbucket-cloud-221449776.html to present static html pages to our users. these contain API reference documentation. I link to those pages from markdown documentation pages.

This works OK for the master branch. However, I also have other branches, representing previous versions of the API. Is it possible to refer to documents in other branches? I was hoping something like "https://clx-evento-efhg.bitbucket.io/{branchname}/ref/webframe.html" would work, but it doesn't. It just gives me a file not found error.

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2018

This question is pretty old but just confirming that we don't currently support publishing from a non-Master branch to bitbucket.io. The docs should be updated shortly to clarify this.

Razoxane October 29, 2018

The documentation says it uses the main (master) branch of the repo for the pages.

If you change the main branch setting in Repository Details to a different branch, does the publishing use master, or the branch selected as the main for the repo? 

The wording of the documentation is ambiguous and open to interpretation.

If it is ONLY master, then the "main branch" wording needs to be removed

If it is whatever the "main branch" for the repo is, then the "master" wording needs to be removed.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2018

Hey Jade,

You're correct - if you change the Main branch from the repository settings, whatever is selected as the main branch will be what's published. By default this is master, which is probably why it's worded the way it is now.

We'll have a technical writer take a look to try and clarify this in the documentation.

Cheers,
Daniel

Razoxane October 30, 2018

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for clarifying.

Not sure if that helps the original poster, but for others, I changed my main branch to Develop, and the site used that branch in the .io site, so it works as you say above.

I'm using the main branch (set to Develop) as a staging site, and have just set up a deployment Pipeline to deploy to the FTP site whenever Master is committed to - exactly the setup I needed!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events