Can I use just one URL for bit bucket but have it route to the closest available server?

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2017

I am setting up Bit Bucket Data Centre. I am setting it up for two sites, one in Dublin, Ireland the other in Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia. Kuala Lumpar will have the mirror instance.

I would like to have one URL for bitbucket, e.g. bitbucket.mycompany.com, but instead I think we will have to use something like bitbucket-dub.mycompany.com and bitbucket-kl.mycompany.com

It's a bit clunky. It would be nice if you could use one name and have the request routed to the closest server.

Does anyone know if that's possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2017

There are several things to consider:

• Only the primary has a GUI, so if your users want to do any work in the GUI (such as working with pull requests) it doesn't help if the name resolves to the mirror instance
  • Up until Bitbucket Server 5.1 the mirror is read-only, so if the name resolves to the mirror and the user is trying to push the push will fail

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2017

I should have watched the webinar! I always assumed that the mirror had a GUI.

1 vote
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2017

It is possible, and the easiest mechanism would be DNS. The specific details of the implementation will vary based on what you're using for your internal DNS, but the terms to look for in your DNS server documentation are "anycast" or "geolocation".

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2017

Thanks Jim - will give it a try.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events