Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a different Git version for my Bitbucket plugin?

Amyn Bennamane March 20, 2020

Getting this error preventing my 5.16.11 Bitbucket to start up on my dev machine:

c.a.s.internal.scm.PluginScmService You are using Git 2.24.1. This version is not supported due to changes which break core Bitbucket functionality. Downgrade to a supported version and restart, or check for later versions of Bitbucket that support Git 2.24.1.

Is it possible for me to let Bitbucket use an old git version from a standalone git install, while keeping my system-wide latest Git installed for my own use?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Barry Allen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2020

Hi Amyn Bennamane,

Please do the same thing in reverse, system-wide/global git should be compatible with Bitbucket and use standalone git for other purpose. You can set this standalone git in your .bashrc or .zshrc for other purpose.

Amyn Bennamane March 21, 2020

Thank you for this answer.

It's not ideal though, when you have different applications relying on git, not only the shell. Also I would probably miss new version notifications that way.

It would make more sense if Bitbucket accepted a config setting to override the git binary path.

Barry Allen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2020

Agreed, I would be great, if we can config git path in Bitbucket.

If they support git path config, they really need to handle a lots of backward compatible cases 😉. And as a user, we don't like if they said some particular will not work for you because you are using older version of git. Maybe that's why they didn't support it yet.

Anyway we will wait for other Community Leader's to contact Bitbucket team about this features.

@ Community Leaders, Please let us know possibility for this feature request.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events