Can I use 2 instances of Stash with the same license key?

Karthik Bhat January 21, 2014

If I buy a Stash license key for 500 users, can I apply the same license key in 2 different instances of stash with say 250 users in each instance? Will it work? If not, is it necessary to buy 2 license keys in order to support 2 stash instances?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2014

Hi Karthik,

This will not work, you'll need to buy a license key for each production instance you have of Stash.

If you have a production instance and a testing instance (to test Stash updates or plugins) you could use a developers license for the testing instance.

More information about the developers license can be found here :

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#licensing-9

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter! Can you please tell me what is the difference between a production instance and a non-production instance in terms of Stash's functionalities? They sound almost same to me.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2014

Hi Karthik,

They have the same functionality. A production instance is the Stash instance you actually and actively use for development.

A non-production instance is a Stash instance you use as a backup or as a testing environment for upgrades and plugins.

I hope this explains it better.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2014

Hi Karthik,

I'm afraid according to the terms of our license you can only use one license per production instance:

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/stash#downloadlicenses-5

Do you mind me asking why you want to run two instances with only 250 users? Are you worried about performance, permissions, location-based or something else?

Charles

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your response. We wanted 2 instances of stash because of 2 different development sites(US and India). We have found that maintaining a single instance of stash in either of the locations will slow down(a lot) the GIT related activities such as cloning in the other location.

So buying 2 licenses is my only option then?

-Karthik

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2014

Hi Karthik,

I'm afraid so, at least for the moment. We are contemplating adding support for "mirroring" at some stage, which would help in your situation without complicating the licensing.

Charles

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2014

Yes it is.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter and Charles! I wish I could divide the karma points between you two. But just like our stash's license, I cannot split it between you guys. :)

Again thanks a lot.

Karthik Bhat January 22, 2014

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have another doubt related to my earlier question.

If I have already applied my 500 user license on my first instance of Stash, can I remove that license from my first instance and add it in my second instance? The idea is to add a new license key to one instance of stash and re-use the other license key in another instance of stash.

Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2014

Hi Karthik,

This is certainly possible.

Simply replace the license key in your first instance with another license key (a developers license key or a trial license key or a newly purchased license key). Don't forget to copy the key to notepad first!

And then paste the license key from your first instance (which you have in notepad) into the license field of your second instance.

Best regards,

Peter

Karthik Bhat January 22, 2014

Awesome! Thanks Peter.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events