Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I revert changes made in old commit?

Anton Pavelyev December 1, 2014

Hello!

Imagine I do a little commit "B" few days ago. In that commit was file "labels.cfg".
There was many other commits since commit "B". e.g now I am at commit "F".
I want revert changes I made in "labels.cfg" in commit "B". I have another changes beetwen "B" and "F" commits in "labels.cfg" and I want to save them.

How can I do it?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2014

Hi Anton,

You can! The command you want is git revert. If the commit id for commit "B" is abad1, you can simply run:

git revert abad1

To create a new commit that reverts the changes introduced to label.cfg in abad1

Edit:

If you don't want to commit the revert straight away you can pass the -n flag to apply the reverse patch to your working copy:

git revert -n abad1

cheers,

Tim

Anton Pavelyev December 2, 2014

Thank you Tim! You advice helped me. But can git revert exact file/files and do it without "right away" commit? I heard git always work with full commit, so it's ideology is many small commits. Right?)

TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

I'm not sure of an easy way to back out changes for just a single file - but you can prevent the commit from being created immediately by passing git revert the -n flag. I've updated my answer above.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events