Can I have a "per Subrepository" Issue Tracker and/or Wiki in Bitbucket?

Rai April 11, 2013

Hi, I'm treating to conform the workflow which fits my needs and I think Subrepos well could be the way to go due to I'd need to share a few resources between some different projects (or rather, subrepos), but I have some doubts/concerns about it:

1. If I include many different projects (which well could be kinda unrelated) inside a big main one as Subrepositories, must I assume I only will be able to have ONE Issue Tracker and ONE Wiki for the main project and nothing else? For what I see, I'm afraid that would be the case, but mixing different projects' issues/bugs in only one place could be so messy that I wonder if I won't be missing something of if couldn't be a better way to manage this situations...
  2. Another related thing is... and what about if I want some of those "sub-projects" appear as Public and some others as Private? Must I asssume I'd have to renounce to that too under a this kind of "Subrepos based" scenario? :-/

And well, that's all... sorry if it's very basic stuff or something so, but although I'm afraid this limitations actually exist, I've been not able to find a definitive answer about them so I had to try here just in case. Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

Ramon,

I'm glad you like the doc but you do point out a weakness in it. I have yet to document a workflow where there are dependencies between projects.

Git has a concept called submodules. Is this what you mean by sub repos? From the Git docs:

It often happens that while working on one project, you need to use another project from within it. Perhaps it’s a library that a third party developed or that you’re developing separately and using in multiple parent projects. A common issue arises in these scenarios: you want to be able to treat the two projects as separate yet still be able to use one from within the other.

There is nothing about Bitbucket that prevents you from using submodules. As far as the workflow, I haven't tried it yet myself so I can't speak to how solid the solution is for your particular situation.

Atlassian does have a blog specifically about using submodules in a workflow. Hope this helps.

Mary

Rai April 15, 2013

Hi and thanks for take the time to answer again!

Git has a concept called submodules. Is this what you mean by sub repos?

[...]

There is nothing about Bitbucket that prevents you from using submodules.

Well, in my case I'd be using Mercurial's Subrepos/Subrepositories, which are basically (and as far as I know) the Mercurial equivalent to the Git's Submodules that you named but not *exactly* the same thing, so not totally sure if it'd make a difference respect Bitbucket support...

Anyway, even similar as they seem, I really don't know to what extent they share advantages and, very specially, disadvantages (which seem to be quite a few); what I do know, is Mercurial Subrepositories are officially defined as a "feature of last resort" and together with I'm in troubles treating to understand them in concept, I finally forced myself to change my mind and look for another kind of solution. Finally, it seems I have something that seems well could fit my needs, it's mainly based on Clones and, if necessary, Named Branches (both, concepts/features which I'm able to deal with at this point) in order to have more Push/Pull control between my (somehow) related projects. Of course, this way everything is going to be a little more "rudimentary" that I firstly thought, but at least I can know what is going on under-the-hud...

Anyway, I'm all opened for a more sophisticated (or rather, "official") solution implementation in the future (when, hopefully, I gain in confidence and knowledge) so I'll be looking forward for such incomming dependencies tutorial :)

Well, thank you very much and greetings!

0 votes
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2013

Hi,

Bitbucket does not support sub repositories. You would need to create a repository for each project. Each project would have its own Issue Tracker and Wiki.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, you can visit our docs:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/bitbucket+Documentation+Home

Knowledgebase:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BBKB/Bitbucket+Knowledge+Base+Home

Cheers,

Mary

Rai April 12, 2013

Hi! And thank you first of all :)

But, just to be sure and without getting into details... Are you suggesting I could work "localy" under a Subrepository scenario like I descrived (a big main project with a Subrepo per each tool/project) BUT then import/transfer each one of that Subrepos into Bitbucket as normal/independent Repositories and work that way without problems between shared/dependent files?

Or you are simply suggesting that I should forget about using Subrepos at all (and at any level) if I plan to use and maintain compatibility with Bitbucket?

I started to follow the "Bitbucket Documentation" (great work there, BTW) some days ago, as well as much Mercurial documentation as I can, but seems difficult to get the right direction about the "proper workflow" for special cases like this (involving dependancies) and taking into account all possible variations as well as the limitations of every involved tool/service (Bitbucket in this case), so any little help on the right direction can be very welcomed.

So well, sorry for your time and thanks again!

Rai April 12, 2013

Hi! And thank you first of all :)

But, just to be sure and without getting into details... Are you suggesting I could work "localy" under a Subrepository scenario like I descrived (a big main project with a Subrepo per each tool/project), BUT then I should import/transfer each one of that Subrepos into Bitbucket as normal/independent Repositories in order to work that way and I wouldn't get in troubles with shared/dependent files? The reason to ask for a confirmation on this (nothing beyond that), is cause that way I could start going in this (weird but interesting) direction with at least some warranties about its possible viability.

Or... OTOH, you are simply suggesting that I should forget about using Subrepos at all (and at any level) if I plan to use and maintain compatibility with Bitbucket?

I started to follow the "Bitbucket Documentation" (great work there, BTW) some days ago, as well as much Mercurial documentation as I can, but seems difficult to get the right direction about the "proper workflow" for special cases like this (involving dependancies) and taking into account all possible variations as well as the limitations of every involved tool/service (Bitbucket in this case), so any little help on the right direction can be very welcomed.

So well, sorry for your time and thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events