Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I fork a repository to a remote BitBucket instance connected with Application Link

Joseph John September 8, 2016

Hi,

The clarification is regarding Atlassian Bitbucket Forking functionality. I can see in Bitbucket you can fork an existing repository and during that operation you will be asked to provide the "Project" of the destination repository.

I have 2 Bitbucket instances (in multiple locations) which are connected via Application Links. I was wondering whether when I attempt to Fork the repository at Location-1 will I be able to choose the destination project on the Location-2 if both the servers are connected via application links?

I already attempted that and assume the answer is "NO" and the fork function will only work on the same Bitbucket instance but I would like to get a confirmation from some experts that I am not missing anything in the configuration.

Thanks and Regards,

Joseph John

2 answers

0 votes
Chuck Ludwigsen January 20, 2021

I am interested in this same capability. This would be useful in scenarios where entity A manages overall source management of common repo 1 and allows entity B or C to fork the common repo to their own instance where they would perform their own branch development, pull requests, builds, etc. Then request a merge to the master repository.

0 votes
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2016

We've recently shipped repository imports, which is not the same as a fork (it won't get any fork syncing, for example), but might be able to serve a similar purpose. This page has information you might find useful: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BitbucketServer/Importing+code+from+an+existing+project

If there's more functionality you'd like to see than that, definitely create a Suggestion at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV and let us know exactly what you're looking for. We won't necessarily implement your feature request, but if we can understand the problem you're solving a bit better, it'll definitely help inform what we do build.

Cheers,

Adam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events