Branching a Branch

Theo Hussey February 16, 2014

Whenever I try to change the destination branch of a branch to another branch it never actually changes and just stays as the master branch. I have also tried specifying the source branch when creating a new branch, but it always just branches of the main branch. I am using GIT.

Is this possible, or is there a reason why i wouldnt be able to do this?

2 answers

0 votes
chirag zaptech February 17, 2014

Theo hussey Yes that is possible. You can create a branch off another branch simply by:

git checkout -b branch2 branch1

So above command will create a new branch "branch2" off "branch1". If you look at the workign directory when switching between these branches you will find them identical since you've created "branch2" from "branch1".

What version of git are you using? It might also be possible that when you are branching from another branch, that branch might be having same source as the master and hence you think its branching off master. You can double check that just to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

In the SourceTree UI, you should checkout the branch you want to branch off of. In chirag's example, checkout "branch1", then use the Branch button to create "branch2".

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2014

Are you asking about bitbucket or sourcetree? I don't know what "destination branch" means in the context of bitbucket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events