Branch restriction: read/write feature branches only

rm-rf-etc August 28, 2017

Is there not a way to restrict permissions to a group or team member, so they can only write to feature branches? Also, they should be able to push their own new feature branches, and create PR's, but not merge.

I would think this would be a common set of permissions a team leader would want but I don't see a way to get this working.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2017

It's possible using the "Branch Permissions" feature under the repository's settings.  Are you on Bitbucket Cloud or Bitbucket Server?

rm-rf-etc August 29, 2017

I don't know, there's no label. I open bitbucket.org, that's what I'm using.

Could you include something more specific? I'm using branch permissions, I don't see what I'm looking for. I would expect that I set read-only permission for my developers group, then add write permission for a branch pattern, but this doesn't seem possible.

jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

The documentation for branch permissions in BB Cloud (bitbucket.org) is at https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/branch-permissions-385912271.html .

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but it sounds like something along these lines for the master branch:

• Nobody is listed in the "write access" field (or, alternately, there's an admin user or group listed there)
  • "Allow rewriting branch history" is not checked
  • "Allow deleting branch" is not checked
  • The developer group (or an admin group, or a QA group, etc.) is listed in the "merge via pull request" field

That will prevent direct writes, rebases, or branch deletions on master, while still permitting people to use the PR workflow to merge their things.

You can also use a wildcard to define additional branch permissions on feature branches. However, it will be much simpler to define branch permissions on master or on a set of primary branches, and leave feature branches as they are.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events