Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket under proxy: "An unknown error has occurred" when trying to remove user from group

Salvatore Novelli December 15, 2015

Hi we have a Bitbucket server running on port 7990. To provide access via domain name we need to pass through proxy server. 

We configured in the server.xml the context path to /bitbucket and we can access it from the domain name using the proxy via domain.com/bitbucket.

(We also set the proper server name in the Server settings.)

Unfortunately, when I try to remove a user from a group it gives me an "unknown" error that in the console appear to be a 403 UNATHORIZED error.

The problem is related to the proxy because when accessing it directly via it's IP it works just fine.

2 answers

1 vote
andyxvt September 11, 2018

For the record, I saw the same errors when accessing Bitbucket 5.x via Apache HTTPD and mod_proxy.

I could log in as the admin user, create users, create groups, create projects, log in as a user etc.  Everything looked to be fine.  But I could not add a group to a user, nor could I add a user to a group.

I had changed the Base URL on the Administration -> Server Settings page and restarted Bitbucket, but it made no difference.

The problem was rectified when I changed  the connector values in the bitbucket.properties file, as per the page https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/migrate-server-xml-customizations-to-bitbucket-properties-897811761.html   and then restarted bitbucket.

After this, there are no errors adding users to groups or vice versa.

I hope this helps someone else.

Florian Seifer June 3, 2019

Thank you for the suggestion, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The link is outdated though:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/migrate-server-xml-customizations-to-bitbucket-properties-897811761.html

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2015

Hi Salvatore, 

The error 403 actually means the server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can be used instead.

Can you confirm if you just trying to access Bitbucket Dashboard through the proxy you are able to connect? If so, then this looks to be related to some kind of permission, or your proxy is not recognising/passing the correct groups for some reason. 

Regards, 
Renato Rudnicki 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events