Bitbucket Server upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.1 loses connection to database (launches to setup page)

Deleted user November 16, 2015

I just upgraded Bitbucket Server from 4.0.1 to 4.1 and it lost its connection to the database (it comes up on the setup screen). The database is intact, so how do I tell Bitbucket where it is?

2 answers

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2015

Hi Craig,

In that case, have a look at the article below:

How did you install the service? Did you choose to have the service installed as part of the installation process of 4.0.1?

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2015

Hi Craig,

If that happens, it means you didn't point the installer (using the upgrade workflow) to your old BITBUCKET_HOME. Have you tried running the upgrade again pointing at the right home directory?

Deleted user November 16, 2015

Hi Thiago. I did point the installer at the old BITBUCKET_HOME, I did use the upgrade workflow, and I did try running it again. I've discovered since I originally posted that everything works perfectly if I launch Bitbucket Server using the Windows bat file. I'm only experiencing a problem if I run it as a Windows service.

MIchal Wlodarczyk October 9, 2016

Have you managed to find a pernament solution here? I have the same issue - well maybe similar. I have installed Bitbucket 4.8.5 and recently, after a server restart Bitbucket service woke up but was not able to restore database connection. It works fine when I start Bitbucket from .bat but not as Windows Service. I tried to reinstall service - did not help either...

Deleted user October 10, 2016

I have not, unfortunately, and I've performed several upgrades since my initial post. I'm still launching from the BAT file, which works perfectly. It's extremely annoying but at least I have a workaround, especially since Atlassian has made no effort to follow up to my last post almost a year ago.

MIchal Wlodarczyk October 10, 2016
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
October 10, 2016

Hi Michal,

What exactly failed in the solution you linked?

MIchal Wlodarczyk October 10, 2016

It looks like Bitbucket installed as a Windows service is not reading BITBUCKET_HOME even passed as a service startup option. Whenever I start Bitbucket as Windows service I got redirected to the setup site, while starting it from .bat runs my instance without any problems. Ecactly what Craig described earlier. bitbucket.png

ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
October 11, 2016

Hi MIchal,

There is a double quote ( " ) before the path on disk.

Could you remove that from there and try to restart the service?

Let us know how you go, please.

MIchal Wlodarczyk October 13, 2016

Hi, the double quote is jus a leftover after I was playing with different approach of defining the parameter. Anyway, without it it also does not work sad. I have also tried reinstalling the service - without success.

Craig Patchett October 20, 2016

Looks like Atlassian has given up on this once again. Tune in a year from now when the next user experiences this problem and the same support advice is given again.

In the meantime, this is such a significant problem that I've been referring people to GItLab when they ask for advice on a Git solution. (Unfortunately we're integrated with Jira, so we have to deal with the issue as best we can.)

MIchal Wlodarczyk October 20, 2016

I wonder if we could check it somehow in the log files from service startup what is BITBUCKET_HOME's variable value...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events