Bitbucket Server to Datacenter Upgrade Process

Joseph Clark June 21, 2017

I have a Bitbucket Server that I need to upgrade to Datacenter.  An additional Bitbucket Datacenter node will be created at a different location and SmartMirror will be used for replication between sites.  Can I simply relicense my existing Bitbucket Server to Datacenter and install my new Bitbucket server as a Node that points to my newly licensed Bitbucket server? Im trying to avoid a reinstall on the existing Bitbucket Server.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2017

Hi Joseph, you can upgrade any JIRA Software, Confluence, Bitbucket or JIRA Service Desk Server to Data Center, but there's still some work involved to make it work. You can upgrade the license by logging into  my.atlassian.com and selecting the Upgrade action. Keep in mind, however, that only Server licenses with active maintenance are eligible to be upgraded. For more information about the licensing, you can read Data center licenses.

Regarding the installation itself, please follow Install Bitbucket Data Center for detailed steps.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Ana
Marcin February 6, 2018

Hi Ana,

Documentation is not clear in mentioned case.

In documentation I'm reading:

Before you begin

Yes, I have an existing production instance of Bitbucket Server running...

... take a backup.

But there is no clear explanation what is the next step. From documentation its "Install Bitbucket Data Center on the first application node" which is false. As we have got already up and running server. It looks like logical step will be verification of "4. Provision your shared file system" and going to "5. Provision your Elasticsearch node". Can you please confirm or clarify proper way to upgrading?

Regards,

Marcin

Like Marek likes this
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2018

Marcin,

If all you want out of BB DC is a SmartMirror, then you can just upgrade the license, apply it to your existing Server node, and you'll be running DC. You can then deploy a SmartMirror.

NB: Without migrating your current infrastructure to shared file storage / shared database / shared elasticsearch / load balancer etc, you won't be fully leveraging what you've paid for (high availability, auto-scaling etc), but we ran BB DC from a single Server style node and just deployed a few SmartMirrors as a good first step and it worked well for us.

CCM

Like # people like this
Marcin February 20, 2018

Than you @Craig Castle-Mead for clarification.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events