Bitbucket Server - Fails to Start After Upgrade

koncepp July 14, 2017

After upgrading from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 this morning, Bitbucket is no longer loading and only presents the unavailable page with the following message:

A fatal error has occurred

The following problem occurred, which prevents Atlassian Bitbucket from starting:

• The database schema could not be updated. Details about the change that failed can be found in the logs.

It may be necessary to create a ticket to resolve the error. When creating a ticket, please include the exception details from the logs, as well as the database type.

Currently using MariaDB 10.1 as the database driver. I have logs available but I don't really see an attachment option sadly.

3 answers

0 votes
masterin July 19, 2017

Found a hotfix, go into your DB and manually set the defualt value for 'updated_timestamp' in `bb_comment_thread` to NULL.  Restart the service - it should migrate without issues then.

That's basicly what logs should tell you is wrong btw.

Cheers!

0 votes
koncepp July 14, 2017
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

Thanks Bobby!

Looking at that file the error that occurs is

liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: Field 'updated_timestamp' doesn't have a default value 

This shouldn't be happening. We've seen some issues with the upgrade to 5.2 relating to this specific area (comment migration), but I haven't been able to find this specific one.

It looks like you may have a comment in your database that may be missing a value in the original table we're trying to migrate from. This could be perfectly normal and it may simply be a case our migration didn't take into account.

Either way, do you have access to support? In other words, are you able to create a ticket with us and could you provide a dump of your pre-upgrade database so we can investigate this?

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineert

Atlassian

koncepp July 14, 2017

That's a negative. Starter license. The only copy of the database I would have is in its current form, which I assume would still be in a pre-upgrade state due to the table migration not working.

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

Hi Bobby,

Alright, let's do this a different way then - we should definitely take a look at this to see if there is a bug or not - if you're able to share a dump of your database as it is right now, drop me an e-mail at cglockner@atlassian.com and mention the e-mail address of your Atlassian ID, then I'll open a ticket on your behalf and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

koncepp July 14, 2017

Sure thing. I'll do that right now.

0 votes
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2017

Hi Bobby,

There's no way to attach files here - the relevant log entries should be towards the end of the atlassian-bitbucket.log files - maybe you can post them here?

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events