Bitbucket Git "change base"

Lindsay Ridgeway October 12, 2013

On the Bitbucket Branches page, what does "change base" do? I'm sure it changes the base, but I don't understand the practical effect and am afraid to mess something up by experimenting.

If you could refer me to a reference URL, that would be great (I've looked and can't find one), but if you'd like to just answer here, that would be great, too. Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2013

This changes what the base of the comparison for the page will display. For example, if your main branch is "Development", your page will automatically show the ahead and behind based on the difference between "Development" and the other branches in the list. If you switch the base to something else, the page will then display ahead/behind based on the new branch. Give it a try!

2 votes
Tobias Zander March 19, 2014

I'm currently looking for a feature like that, but cannot find "change base" on our branches page.

Was this feature removed or moved somewhere else?

Tom Roggero October 10, 2016

+1 to this ^

Like Michael Tuchman likes this
Chad DeShaw January 9, 2018

I wish someone would have answered this, I would like to change the base branch. I don't see this option anywhere.

James Elsdon January 10, 2018

The 'base branch' is the branch you are currently viewing within the Branches screen.

To 'change base', select the desired branch from the branch dropdown.

2018-01-11_11-26-11.png

The 2018-01-11_11-27-09.pngtag will now associate with the selected branch.

The 'base branch' tag will not be visible when the branch selected is also the 'default branch' (selected from settings->repository details), however the comparisons will still be relevant. This is the exception.

Like Michael Tuchman likes this
Michael Tuchman December 23, 2018

The conversation does suggest that the bitbucket server branches page could explicitly mention the words 'base branch' somewhere on the page.  Perhaps even title the drop-down so we know **where** the option is located.  James' explanation is excellent, so now wouldn't it be great to see the page itself provide the proper instruction?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events