Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Bitbucket] Eager to know the release date of Bitbucket Server 5.1?

Saranya Subburaj May 30, 2017

Hi team,

We are using Bitbucket in our organization and would like to go for a upgrade to latest version.

As far as now , we could see that Bitbucket Server 5.0 is latest,

But we would like to go for version 5.1 as we feel that xxx.0 version would not be stable.

Could you please let us know the tentative date/month for the release of version 5.1

Please get back to us ASAP. Waiting for the update.

1 answer

1 vote
Michael Schlueter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2017

In my opinion there's no big difference between 5.0.0 and 5.1.0 regarding stability. It's probably a good idea to wait for a version 5,x,y with y > 1, but each 5.x.0 is same kind of a major release. It is easily possible that 5.1 will introduce bigger changes than 5.0 did.

5.0.1 is already out, 5.0.2 is probably only a few weeks ahead. I would not expect 5.1.0 before September (pure guessing)

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2017

To me it looks like a 5.1.0 release is imminent (within 2-3 weeks, maybe even 1 week?).  But this is pure conjecture on my part, since I'm not Atlassian staff.

Here's why I think it's imminent:

1.)  The maven repo metadata is up to "5.1.0-rc3" for the Bitbucket webapp artifact.   

2.)  The BSERV release info for Bitbucket 5.1.0 in Atlassian's public JIRA also looks typical for a release happening soon.

I agree with Michael Schlueter that in general the "y" in "5.x.y" is the important version to watch out for.  Most of the bug-fixes in the 5.1.0 JIRA tracker are set to priority "low", and the two "high" priority bugs were already addressed in the 5.0.1 release.  

p.s.  I'm the author of the Bit-Booster add-on.

Thomas Buchhorn
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2017

BTW: Version 5.0.2 is out now.

A x version usually adds new features so there is a chance new bugs are introduced.

If you look at the release history you will see that a new x version is released every 1 1/2  - 2 month. So I would expect a 5.1.0 version around mid - end of june. But there is no guarantee.

Also keep in mind that plugin authors need to catch up with new releases so it might take a while till their plugins are compatible with a new version.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events