Bitbucket (Cloud) Team Members Losing Repo Access

Thomas Tinnes December 6, 2017

We have a team of members that have worked pretty happily for many months. Then, a week ago, or so, some members lost access to all repos, even though they were still in the same access groups (i.e., nothing had changed in the privilege scheme). The members who suddenly lost access (although they were listed in the users and groups) were folks who had originally created alternative identities. So, instead of an identity of jsmith (jsmith@corporatedomain.com), they had created jimsmith_dev, for example. 

In some cases, fixing the problem was pretty simple, I just put their identity back into the users and groups (to continue my example) as jsmith, and everything went fine. However, some folks couldn't use their email ID, for example, "jsmith" because another individual already existed somewhere in the Atlassian cloud, James Smith, already in the system as jsmith. 

Even if I drop the user jimsmith_dev and add him back, it doesn't help, and I can't add him as jsmith, because another already exists.

Users in this system are logging with username and password, not with LDAP. 

Anyone have a ghost of a clue what might be happening?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Thomas, what's the name of the team you're referring to?  

Looks like they were creating new accounts, instead of renaming their current ones, is this correct? Keep in mind that if you add new users to the team account and exceed the limit of your plan, users won't be allowed to access to the repos until the plan is updated or other users are removed.

If you still have available seats in your plan, we'll need to check what went wrong there.

Regarding

However, some folks couldn't use their email ID, for example, "jsmith" because another individual already existed somewhere in the Atlassian cloud, James Smith, already in the system as jsmith. 

Even if I drop the user jimsmith_dev and add him back, it doesn't help, and I can't add him as jsmith, because another already exists.

Bitbucket Cloud uses a global user base, so if some user is already using 'jsmith' as a username, nobody else will be allowed to use it. 

Let us know!

Ana

Thomas Tinnes December 11, 2017

Thank you for your reply, Ana.

I'm going to suspend this line of inquiry for now. 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2017

No problem, Thomas. Let us know if you need anything else in the future :)

Have a good day,

Ana 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events