Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket API: Is it possible to interact with bitbucket issues within my application using an api

Simon Davies August 13, 2013

I would like some admin users/testers of an application my team are buiding to be able to create/edit/comment etc on issues dirrectly from my application so they do not need to open another tab ,log into thier/the teams bitbucket account, all they need to do is click on an issues tab within the app and away they go? It will also mean that testers / users do not need to have a itbucket account in order to report issues.

Is this possible and if so whats the best place or if not whats possibel? I have ooked at Jira and see it can be intergrated with bitbucket, but this might be to overwhelming to the user as they dont need that much content etc

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Simon Davies August 16, 2013

I have been looking at the API there limited examples and instructions as well as the use for OAuth1.0a but nothign at present for Oauth2 bit disappointed, i have manged to get an app authrised using the oauth-php libary (google) this returns what i need but now to work out with interacting with the API, which has even limited answers.

I have found thsi though this on packagist 'gentle/bitbucket-api' that works its uses the Basic Auth, but also can use Oauth so will be trying this out next.

m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2013

We don't support Oauth2 yet. Did something give you that impression?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/OAuth+on+Bitbucket

Simon Davies August 16, 2013

Hi Mary, no i knew you didnt after reading around etc. I have seen that link and it was the setting up an oauth to get those details then return them bu ti hav enow got them . my next issue is how to use them as it stops directly at

"With this access token your application can make Bitbucket API calls"

Then nothing or no link on how to use it after you have authorised your app and have received the callback. I think thi sis the issue most people have. There the following BitBucket repos https://bitbucket.org/gentlero/bitbucket-api that i found that does what i want but it uses basic auth, i am looking to now link up my oauth response code with this so i can use his oauth method and try that. Many Thanks for your replies though

0 votes
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2013

Simon,

You would need to consider carefully what kind of Issue Trackers your application expects to be adding issues too. Public issue trackers require a user to pass a Captcha other than that it is a very simple "interface." To try the experience for yourself,

1. Log out of Bitbucket
  2. Go here https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues

This solution would only mean having a page where your testors could choose a link to a public issue tracker. The downside, all your issue trackers are public.

From your description, this sounds like a custom application for your company and not something you want to resell. You could create a single account on your team that has read access to all your repositories. That account could act on behalf of your testers to create issues. The only bummer there is that there is no way to associate an individual tester with the issue --- all the reporters will be the READ-ACCESS user.

JIRA does seem overwhelming. However, there are ways to configure JIRA to present simpler workflows to your testers.

So sum it up, I see your choices are:

• Public issue trackers
  • Write an application using our Bitbucke APIs with a READ-ACCESS account.
  • JIRA customization
Simon Davies August 14, 2013

@Mary Anthony many thanks for your reply. Your right with the public tracker its too open, and after watching that video on JIRA its looks aweasome but overwhelming for my HO testers and reviwers/users. (will keep thi sin mind if i need some thing like this though, and might have a look at the trial and have a test you never know, its just having to teach others :-) afterwards on what to and not to do)

With regards to the API way i have found a repos that seems to work for me and funny enough just tested it and it wrtos / reads etc and could be slotted into the app and also limit th esues to a simon issue tracker style form as this is all i need.

If its pans out i will report back on here as there not too much good write ups on using th eapi with the oauth with good examples as the docs are a little be limiting ect

thanks again

0 votes
Simon Davies August 13, 2013

looking around similar to BitBucketCards (http://www.bitbucketcards.com/) but form within myown app, looking at th eAPImight be th way togo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events