Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket 5.5.0 and missing "jre" folder

Hao La October 30, 2017

Hi,

I downloaded (atlassian-bitbucket-5.5.0.tar.gz) and installed it on a Linux box, side-by-side to my existing 5.2.2.   When starting the server up, I am getting this message

-bash-4.2$ ./start-bitbucket.sh
Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is defined
Edit set-jre-home.sh and define JRE_HOME

It looks likes the new 5.5 image doesn't lay down jre.  Can someone from Atlassian confirm if it is "by designed," a packaging bug or ..? The documentation doesn't seem to indicate any extra step regarding the missing jre: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/upgrade-bitbucket-server-from-an-archive-file-779292682.html

Thanks

H

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

Hi Hao,

I just checked, it doesn't appear that this isn't new - you will need to install and configure the JRE yourself and then just make sure the JAVA_HOME variable is set, pointing to the JRE.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Hao La October 31, 2017

Hi Christian,

Thanks for replying.  Is it documented somewhere? Read the documentation link above but apparently did not see it.

Thanks

Hao

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

Hi Hao,

The installation guide does reference that Java needs to be installed when using the archive installation - Install Bitbucket Server on Linux from an archive file.

The guide you linked is for upgrading and assumes that you've already installed Java on the system.

If you choose to use the installer and Java is not detected, the jre folder will be created and Java installed there. Install Bitbucket Server on Linux

Hao La October 31, 2017

Thanks Jeff & Christian.  I use the installer (.bin) and was able to continue with the upgrade to 5.5.0 fine.

Hao

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events