BitBucket behind an Amazon ELB

Stan Malachowski January 6, 2016

Hi,

I have installed Bitbucket in the Amazon cloud on a Windows EC2 instance. I followed the instructions for configuriing the server.xml for usage with the Apache reverse proxy, but instead of Apache, I am trying to use an Amazon ELB (Elastic Load Balancer). From what I have read, this should be possible.

The change on the Bitbucket side involves adding the lines:

scheme="http"
proxyName="<my ELB URL>"

proxyPort="80" />

to server.xml

and adjusting the value of Base URL within the application. I made this:

http://<my ELB URL>

The ELB is configured to pass requests on port 80 through to the Bitbucket server on port 7990 -it's standard operating port. When I remove the proxy lines, the Bitbucket server works without a hitch on localhost.

I don't get the requests routing through (the browser just hangs and times out). I also have trouble setting the health check on the ELB to be TCP on port 7990. However, when I set it to a static page beneath IIS on port 80, it detects and active system. It just seems that the BitBuckter server is not redirecting back to the ELB.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Stan

1 answer

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2016

Hi Stan,

I have a couple suggestions to checkout as the issue could lie in a few places. I was able to get ELB working with an Windows EC2 instance just now.

EC2 Security Group

Check the security group on the EC2 instance and make sure that it allows inbound connections on port 7990 for the ELB. As a quick test, you can set the allowed source IP address to be 0.0.0.0/0 so that all connections are accepted and then narrow down the scope after.

ELB Security Group

Look at the security group for the load balancer and verify that inbound connections are allowed on port 80

Windows Firewall

Verify that there is an inbound rule in the Windows Firewall that allows TCP requests on port 7990.

Health Check

This is likely not the cause of the issue, but the ping path for the health check should be /status, that is a special endpoint that can be used to determine if the instance is running and in a healthy state.

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers,
Jeff 

Stan Malachowski January 14, 2016

Jeff, Thanks for your input. I discovered it yesterday. It was Windows firewall. Regards, Stan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events