Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitBucket Server & Bamboo: Switching from Crowd (via Jira Server) to LDAP User Directory

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019

Hello Everyone!

Currently, we have a self-hosted Jira Server instance that we are using as a user directory for our hosted BitBucket Server and Bamboo Server. 

We are now in the process of looking to migrate from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.

My question is, if I switch our BitBucket and Bamboo authentication method to talk directly to our corperate AD, will it treat all of the users as brand new accounts?  I know that I will need to redo groups (as we have been using Jira groups for permissions) what I want to be aware of going into this change is if pull request authors and reviewers will still be recognized from their existing LDAP accounts or if it will think that these are new users.

If anyone has any expertise in this area any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2019

Hi @Jimmy Seddon

That is a good question.

Bamboo and Bitbucket have different behaviors in such case.

Bamboo

It will use the username to define what user from the user repository corresponds to the user history available. If you change the user repository and the username is the same, other fields will not matter.

Bitbucket

It will not use the username as its main key. Considering the LDAP for example, if the UUID for the user is the same Bitbucket will user it, otherwise, it will consider it as a different user.

What I suggest is:

1. Make sure you are logged with a local admin on Bitbucket
  2. Configure the corporate AD as a second user repository
  3. Change it to the top position
  4. Check if a user coming from the AD is able to retrieve the same history (of course, considering the groups' permission configured - since you shared those will be different)

That will give you more confidence to make the change you need.
In fact, you can use the approach to test Bamboo as well.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2019

Hi @Daniel Santos,

Thanks for the response!  As I started looking into this further myself, your suggestions were the approach I was going to plan to take.

Glad to have the extra enforcement that this is the right thing to do!

Thanks!

-James

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2019

You are welcome @Jimmy Seddon!
I'm glad to be helpful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events