BitBucket Server Trial Installation Start Up Failure - Plug In Startup Failure

Jeffrey Anderson August 3, 2017

I have installed the trial version of BitBucket Server (5.2.2) and after installing and attempting to launch in the Browser I eventually receive the following fatal error:

The following problems occurred, which prevents Atlassian Bitbucket from starting:
- Required plugin com.atlassian.stash.ssh-plugin has failed to start

I have installed this on 2 separate workstations, one if Win7 and the other is Win8.1 and I get the same error on both.

I have reviewed the following 2 articles about plug in start up failures. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/bitbucket-server-failed-to-start-due-to-required-plugin-failed-to-start-779171543.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/required-plugin-com-atlassian-stash-ssh-plugin-has-failed-to-start-is-displayed-when-accessing-the-bitbucket-server-web-interface-779171299.html

The former doesn't appear to be relevant.  The latter does appear relevant as it specifically references the problem plug in and the logs seem to contain parts of what is mentioned there for scenario 1 and 2 but there is no catalina.out so it points to scenario 2 but I have repeatedly deleted the contents of the plugins folder so it gets rebuilt only to hit the same error.

Both workstations are running Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 and Malware Bytes 1.75 in case that is relevant.

Does anyone know what is needed to get this working?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2017

Hi Jeffrey,

Usually issues like these are related to performance, i.e. when it's taking unusually long to load plugins. Assuming that the workstation isn't otherwise underpowered, the prime suspects here are your antivirus products. Try disabling them and starting Bitbucket server again.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Jeffrey Anderson August 6, 2017

Thanks Christian, 

While I had to jump through a few hoops to disable Kaspersky (it is pushed out centrally via GP) doing so allowed BitBucket to start very quickly.  I do note that after it finished installing and going through the setup in browser that the elastic search component got stuck using 100% CPU.  I had to shut down the service and I later started it again and it seems ok now.  Not sure if that was expected (I actually let it run for several hours before stopping the service).  

Is running on a server with Kaspersky something that is supported? Our company is looking at rolling Kaspersky out to servers in the near future and if it is not supported I might need to request an exception if we go ahead with purchasing BitBucket Server.

FYI, the workstation I was testing on was a Xeon E5-1620 (4 cores/8 threads) with 32GB of RAM.  While not exactly a cutting edge Xeon it still is quite powerful and I would expect it could run AV and evaluation server software.  

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2017

Hi Jeffrey,

Virus scanners are known to negatively impact performance of any Java application, as they usually go through all .jar files (which are really just zip files), extract them and analyze files in them, which is about as ineffecient as it gets.

If you have a way of doing so, I'd recommend excluding the Bitbucket Server directories from the continuous scanning.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events