Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitBucket Cloud Slack app fails to interact with buttons

Vladimir Ryabtsev January 24, 2019

We recently restricted access to BitBucket cloud to only certain IP addresses for security reasons. After this (not quite sure though) BitBucket Cloud app became not able to perform any actions through it's buttons (such as "Nudge Reviewers", "Comment", "Merge"). "Nudge Reviewers" posts: "Sorry, you have no permission to perform this action.", other buttons (with dialog box) say "We had some trouble connecting. Try again?".

Restriction on IP rage looks like a probable explanation for this. Admins say they are not able to whitelist Slack servers because they don't have a fixed IP range (https://twitter.com/slackapi/status/567110311476350976?lang=en). An obvious solution for this seems to be proxying app's requests to BitBucket from our network. I wonder, is it possible to "configure" the app to change the BB API address to something else?

UPDATE: I got misled by Slack type of the application, but in the reality the app is probably not hosted on Slack servers or BitBucket servers. In a lucky case it can have static IP or a fixed range of addresses. Unfortunately I don't know who is the author/supporter of the app and how to contact them. Is there a way to find it out?

UPDATE 2: found developers' address on app's page: support@atlassian.com, but is still waiting for response.

2 answers

0 votes
Drew May 6, 2019

Did you ever find out the correct IP ranges?

Vladimir Ryabtsev May 7, 2019

As for this issue, I filed a ticket in BitBucket support. The root cause consisted of two parts:

1) a problem with the Slack app itself that was fixed (as I understand the problem was that the app's servers were not in the correct IP range).

2) Whitelisting IPv6 ranges on our BitBucket area. The whole list is here: https://ip-ranges.atlassian.com/ (we did not whitelist IPv4 ranges, only IPv6 ones).

Drew May 8, 2019

Oh interesting, it's IP ranges for Atlassian itself, not Slack! Thank you for the solution!

0 votes
Vladimir Ryabtsev January 24, 2019

<deleted>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events