Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Bitbucket: pull request after merge without a Fork

Jared Gabor April 2, 2014

I started using Bitbucket (with mercurial) by pulling a repository directly from a collaborator's Bitbucket account. That is, I never used Bitbucket to create a Fork to my own Bitbucket account. [I now realize I should have created a Fork on Bitbucket then pulled that fork to my local machine]. Anyway, I just completed a significant merge of the code on my local machine, and I want my collaborator to pull the merged code back to the main trunk. But he can't pull it directly from my local machine. I'm not authorized to push it up to his Bitbucket account. Any idea what's the best way out of this predicament?

Thanks, Jared

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2014

You can still fix this yourself, as long as you have read access to the original repository. Go to that repo, and create a new fork. Then, on your local machine, update the remote URL of the repository to point to the fork you created in your account (see the Mercurial section of this guide). Then, push your code into your fork. A simple push, perhaps with --new-branch should do it. Then, create a Pull Request from your fork to your collaborator.

Jared Gabor April 2, 2014

Thanks a lot, worked like a charm!

P.S.: I had not thought of this partly because I have another fork from the same repository, and I didn't realize you could have 2 different forks from the same repo (as long as you give the forks different names).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events