Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BFG doubles the size of repo?? How to run git gc on remote?

Vipul Shivnani October 5, 2017

I ran BFG following official documentation on BFG's website. But after doing push my remote repository becomes doubles the size. Can anybody help me . I've read many queries asking similar stuff, they suggest Atlassian team has to run the aggressive gc on their side. Please help

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2017

Hi @Vipul Shivnani and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-! Normally the size on the remote will adjust automatically (you just need to be patient and give it some time). However, sometimes it takes longer than expected and in those cases an aggressive GC or even a regular GC will help.

I've run a garbage collection on your remote repository and the size decreased to 1.5 GB. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Cheers :)

Ana 

Vipul Shivnani October 6, 2017

@Ana Retamal you are awesome Thanks.

I was actually doing this on a test repo. I will do this now on my prod repo. Will you be able run it again after I do so ?

Once again appreciate your help. Thanks.

Vipul Shivnani October 6, 2017

Hi @Ana Retamal ,

I did another BFG process for my main prod repo. Is it possible for you to run another aggressive gc or I should wait ?

Please advise. Appreciate your help . Thanks 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2017

Hi @Vipul Shivnani, I've checked your account and I don't see any repo over 2GB. It could be that the automatic gc ran already, or that you're referring to a different account. Let me know if you need any help!

Cheers,
Ana

Vipul Shivnani October 9, 2017

Hi @Ana Retamal I have one repo which is showing 2.9 GB arap-next . (https://bitbucket.org/cavirin/arap-next/) Can you have a look at this one ? 

Thanks !!
Vipul

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2017

@Vipul Shivnani Done! The size is now 999.5 MB.

Have a nice day :)

Ana

Vipul Shivnani October 9, 2017

Awesome!! made my day !!!!

Thanks @Ana Retamal . Have a nice day :)

domdom_haas July 26, 2018

Could you check https://bitbucket.org/inkkit/deru/ please!

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
July 30, 2018

Hi @domdom_haas, the size of your repo looks fine, just around 293.7 MB. What is larger is the LFS contents, almost 8GB. Ca nyou confirm that's the right size on your local?

Cheers,

Ana

Clement December 12, 2018

@Ana Retamal please action on https://bitbucket.org/liv-ex/lvx3/ (private repo)!

Bradley Harding January 7, 2021

@Ana Retamal Would you mind taking a look at:

bitbucket.org/ucdsaotoss/myucdavis (private repo)

We also used BFG to remove large files and our repo grew from 1.29GB to 1.48GB. I also created support ticket BBS-154661. Thank you!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2017

Aggressive GC isn't going to help here.  The problem is the volume of data and BFG failing to handle it. 

Vipul Shivnani October 5, 2017

hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , Thanks for the reply.

whats the best way to proceed. Any suggestions ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events