BFG cleaning on the repo did not change the size

Ogaga July 25, 2019

I've run the BFG clean tool on my repo but the size still remains the same. I've deleted a number of branches and big files too. I need assistance please. Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2019

Hey @Ogaga,

This is because garbage collection isn't triggered on every operation (although the larger is the repository, the more often git-gc runs).

I took a wild guess which repository you're talking about and manually triggered git-gc on our side – that repo size has fallen by half.

Let me know if my guess was wrong and you meant some other repository :)

Cheers,
Daniil

Ogaga July 25, 2019

@Daniil Penkin Thank you. I've seen it. Do I still need to perform a git push?

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2019

No worries.

Do I still need to perform a git push?

Well, I can't answer this question. If you have local changes which aren't yet in Bitbucket and you want them to be there – yes, you need to push them up.

As for what I did: I haven't touched anything that was reachable from any tag or branch in your repository, that said it haven't changed at all from an outer observer's perspective. Garbage collection affects only unreachable objects – they used to be reachable in the past but became orphan after history rewrite which, among other operations, a rebase and BFG perform.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers,
Daniil

Ogaga July 25, 2019

Yes @Daniil Penkin thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events