Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian recommends a 2GB max SVN repo size if migrating to DVCS. What 'size' is this and how do I measure it?

Andy Worsley July 25, 2013

I'm migrating our FishEye SVN repository projects to Bitbucket/Git repositories. The recommendation of <2GB is in https://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/Migration+Introduction

Is this 2GB 'size':

- The size of the SVN server deployment (e.g. a 'du' on the SVN server filesystem including the database of revision etc.)?

- The size of the SVN backup dump?

- The size on disk of project trunks when I've checked them all out?

Please advise which, and how I measure it.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2013

Hi Andy,

The "size" in question is the size of the SVN backup dump or size of your SVN FS on disk (they will be very similar in size). If you file a support ticket with Atlassian support, we would be more than happy to let you know how big your repository is.

Alternatively, you could use a tool like svnsync to make a local clone of your SVN repository that includes history, and measure the size of that.

Kind Regards,

Richard Stephens

Andy Worsley July 28, 2013

Thanks, Richard. The backup dump I have (from a while ago) is 1.5GB zipped, which is similar to the deployed SVN FS size of 1GB. Have raised the ticket.

3 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2013

This would be the size of the SVN repository.

Thanks. And how practically do I measure that?

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2013

Google it yet?

Google? What's that? :P

Anyway, yes all the suggestions I've found are Stack Overflow threads etc. that mostly involve having command-line access to your SVN server (which I don't have through FishEye OnDemand), or backing-up/mirroring the repository locally, which seems like overkill just to get a simple statistic.

If you are aware of an easier way to determine the SVN repository size, then please do let me know.

1 vote
Stefan Saasen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2013
Hi Andy, This is the size of the git/hg repository after the conversion. It's obviously difficult to estimate the size of that repository before you converted your subversion repository but looking at your current SVN repository might give you some indication. Does it contain many binary files (e.g. large media files or libraries/artifacts like .jar files)? If so did they change frequently? The best way to find out for sure is to actually convert the repository and then check the size of the repository on disk after compacting/garbage collection. E.g. for git: $> cd /path/to/git/repo $> git gc $> du -hs .git Cheers, Stefan

Thanks, Stefan. But is it the Git repo or the SVN repo as Richard says? Can you guys resolve between you?

In any case, I suspect they might be similar anyway, at least to order of magnitude. I'll probably do a double-pronged approach and just do a test conversion as you suggest though.

Stefan Saasen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2013

Hi Andy,

Well, it really is the git/hg repository size that we mean, I'm reponsible for the svn -> git migration content on that page :)

A large SVN repo might end up being signficantly smaller in git so the final size is really what counts here.

The git/hg repository size decides whether your experience with DVCS will not be hampered by slowness. See https://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/How+to+Reduce+the+Size+of+your+Repository for the downsides of large DVCS repositories.

Looking at https://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/Migration+Introduction again I can see why that is not obvious. I'll look into make that clear on the page.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stefan

Ah OK, you're the authority then :) Excellent. That's all clear now, thanks.

0 votes

Google? What's that? :P

Anyway, yes all the suggestions I've found are Stack Overflow threads etc. that mostly involve having command-line access to your SVN server (which I don't have through FishEye OnDemand), or backing-up/mirroring the repository locally, which seems like overkill just to get a simple statistic.

If you are aware of an easier way to determine the SVN repository size, then please do let me know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events