Are private repositories safe to store sensitive details?

MrLK October 13, 2013

Hi, sorry for the most likely obvious question but I'm new to Bitbucket and I want to use it for a personal private project. And within the code I have a few sensitive details stored (nothing TOO sensitive, just a login for a forum account etc) which I know is bad practice but it's still in it's early stages.

Anyways I was just wondering if it was safe to keep such details in a private bitbucket account. I presume that it is, seen as it's private and all. But seen as I don't know much about git etc in general I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

1 answer

1 vote
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2013

As you have indicated, its not good practice to store account information online. Especially if working in a team (distributed model).

Ideally, repos would only contain source code. However, if you decide to store certain details that others shouldn't see, aside from keeping it private, I would ensure that you are the only person with access. I would also keep the credentials in a safe place and frequently change the password.

In closing, are repos generally safe, absolutely! Do we recommend storing sensitive information, absolutely not! But of course you are free to proceed accordingly, I would just like to recap the above in recommending you establish a strong password and keep that account under lock and key.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events