Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea why start-stash.bat would be launching Crowd?

Matt Summers November 25, 2013

Hello.

I'm evaluating a whole bunch of Atlassian products and I've started with Crowd and Stash. I had both of these running and integrated and all was well. But then I needed to restart the server.

I ran Crowd first and was then getting the 'URL already in use' error. So I stopped Crowd and tried to run Stash on its own to see what happens. When I run the Stash start-stash.bat file, it actually runs Crowd!

This is the directory structure I'm using:

C:\Atlassian\Crowd\Install
C:\Atlassian\Crowd\Home
C:\Atlassian\Stash\Install
C:\Atlassian\Stash\Home

When I run start-stash.bat (from the Stash\Install\bin directory), it shows the following values in the command prompt:

Using CATALINA_BASE: "C:\Atlassian\Crowd\Install\apache-tomcat"
Using CATALINA_HOME: "C:\Atlassian\Crowd\Install\apache-tomcat"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\Atlassian\Crowd\Install\apache-tomcat\temp"
Using JRE_HOME: "C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.7.0_45"
Using CLASSPATH: "(Crowd)\bootstrap.jar;(Crowd)\tomcat-juli.jar"

Naturally, this means that it actually launches Crowd.

Any ideas? I had a look at environment variables but can't see anything wrong. My STASH_HOME variable has been set to "C:\Atlassian\Stash\Home". Also, this was working fine until I restarted.. don't know if that helps.

Any and all help hugely appreciated.

UPDATE

It turns out that this happens when I launch Crowd from a console and then run Stash from the same console. Crowd seems to set some environment variables that Stash then ends up using?

Seems that the solution is to run each one from separate consoles (i.e. close the first one and open a new one). Seems a bit silly, but there you have it.

P.S.

Because I have no karma points yet, I can't actually answer my own question, which leaves it open forever and a little less useful to the skim readers. If anyone would like to earn some karma points, by all means copy/paste my update above and I'll mark it as the answer!

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2013

Can you check if both apps are using the same port or not? Also, check setenv.bat file under bin folder to check if there is any wrong settings in there.

Matt Summers November 25, 2013

Hi Jobin.

The apps are (or certainly were) using different ports (8095 and 7990) - I've not changed these, as far as I'm aware - I'm not sure how you do that.

I've checked setenv.bat and there's nothing untoward in there (I've not changed anything). The line that sets STASH_HOME is still remmed out (so it's using the environment variable). It does also refer to CATALINA_HOME, but I don't know what this would be at run-time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events