Adding a user to a team project just to comment

Simon Davies August 13, 2013

I would like to add a user to a team project(private) btu limit them so they can only create issues or comment on the project. This is so that some one looking at the project can report issues as their programming knwowledge is limited to nil.

Is this possible or woudl i just ask them to simple report issues and comments and dont touch anything else. Its jsut that if the project tester finds an issue or wants a request them they can simple comment etc on the project and thus keep thigns together rather than use a seperate logging type system?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2013

Bother, as you were talking about projects, I assumed you were using Jira.

Please ignore what I've said, it doesn't apply to bitbucket.

If you don't mind, I'll delete my answer as it's rubbish, and our follow-on comments?

LOL :-)

Not a problem, thought it could be done. With Jira can users follow my bitbucket issues and comment add to them? Should i port the issues over to Jira??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2013

Yes, Jira has that level of control. I've not really used bitbucket enough to know!

thanks its just that i woudl like a simple access so a tester can assign/view/comment on a bitbucket project so when they are testing they can use this to report back so my team can reveieve them, but also the tester cannot do anything esle? it seems the bitbucket page states Jira intergration, but jira might be too overwhelming for the tester/user after just watching the video

It woudl be nice to actaully enable an api so within my application they can do just that without the need to log into bitbucket etc so all they can do is the issues /comments

Thanks anyway i will keep looking at their products I will start another post with regards to its API. Thanks again

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2013

I would:

• Create a new role of "Create or comment"
  • Amend the permission scheme so that the permissions "Create" and "comment" use the new role (Along with all the existing stuff)
  • Add that user to the new role in that project

This gives you exactly what you need (and the user can't mess with anything else), plus the ability for your project owners to add/remove other users with that exact profile if they want to.

sorry, where would i find the New Role section within my team? I have groups no roels though, thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2013

Ah, the list of roles is maintened by system administrators. They need to add the role as a one-off, then it'll appear for all projects and be an option in the permission schemes. It's under admin -> roles.

To get to it as a project admin, you go to the users section of the project header.

thank you for th ereply, but i cannot see admin>roles any where adn then also as project admin i dont see users, if i click on the cog of the project i can see access management, then set up another user and give them read access but it seems they can still edit code etc

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events