A branch with this name already exists

gcode June 10, 2016

If creating a new branch that happens to have the same name as a branch that was deleted, the error "A branch with this name already exists." I've already waited nearly a week so I can't imagine there's a caching issue going on.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

You might want to raise a support ticket with Atlassian at support.atlassian.com.

gcode June 13, 2016

Will do, thank you. (Perhaps that might be the answer if you want me to accept it smile)

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

I am not going to sweat on it but I have made it answer smile

0 votes
Harshada Gothankar April 7, 2021

I am still having this issue, not able to create a new branch with the same name that I deleted. last week

0 votes
Artūrs Žīgurs September 11, 2017

I had the same issue just now.

Although what i noticed is that even the message "branch already exists with the same name" is displayed, branch is created in git underneath. 
I tried to to fetch in git console and the branch showed up in the list.

In order for branch to show up in BitBucket, i did an empty commit with a push and branch also showed up in BitBucket UI.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2016

Branch names are case insensitive. Maybe there is another branch with the same name with different case?

gcode June 13, 2016

Afraid not.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events