Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Support Comedy of Errors

jhgarrison February 22, 2017

TL;DR

Email from me to support@bitbucket.org is being bounced even though the mail passes SPF, DKIM and DMARC validation (as shown in the returned message).  I am the admin for my SMTP server and can verify that is does not appear on any current blacklists (checked MXToolbox and MultiRBL) blacklist and. There seems to be no way to contact support via the website since I have a free personal account with no SEN.

Long version

I tried to login to Bitbucket ghix mofninb and got the "please confirm your email" form which I clicked on. Unfortunately I forgot that I had removed the email alias I was using from my SMTP server. Therefore the verification email bounced "unknown user" but I was not immediately aware of the problem. I again requested a second verification email, which also bounced. 

I realized what had happened when I checked the postfix logs on my SMTP server, and added back the alias.

Requesting a validation email a third time had no effect. Dead silence from Bitbucket.  I guessed that Atlassian had blacklisted my email address due to the two delivery failures. Being completely unable to login to the site, I sent a request to support@bitbucket.org describing the issue and asking them to un-blacklist the email address.

After a few hours I got a reply saying they had removed me from the blacklist, and I was able to complete the verification process.  I was able to verify my address, change my password and login successfully. Original problem solved.

Then I tried to access the ticket using the Atlassian support website, in order to close it,  but was presented with

You do not have permission to view this request

This is likely because the ticket was created belonging to a different account.

OK, I thought, I'll just send an email to let them know the problem is fixed and they can close the thciet.  However when I did that the email bounced because it was classified as SPAM.  Remember I was able to sent email to support@bitbucket.org just a few hours earlier. The bounce is weird because I have SPF, DKIM and DMARC configured for my server.  The bounce message contains an image of the message as it was received by Atlassian, and it contains the followiing, which indicates "pass" status for DKIM, SPF and DMARC.

Received: from smtp.jhmg.net (smtp.jhmg.net. [45.55.176.36])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id m3si2740875qkc.39.2017.02.22.23.31.30
        for <support@bitbucket.org>;
        Wed, 22 Feb 2017 23:31:30 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of jhg@jhmg.net designates 45.55.176.36 as permitted sender) client-ip=45.55.176.36;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       dkim=pass header.i=@jhmg.net;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of jhg@jhmg.net designates 45.55.176.36 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=jhg@jhmg.net;
       dmarc=pass (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=jhmg.net

Since I can't seem to talk to support, can anyone get them to look at this message, or suggest an alternative method to reach them?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Gary
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2017

Hey James,

If you can give me the possible emails the ticket would have been created under, I can see if I can locate them in our support system. You can email them to me directly @ gsackett@atlassian.com if you do not feel comfortable dropping them here.

Also, you can open a support ticket for Bitbucket directly at https://support.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/bbs anytime - you do not need to enter a SEN to open a Bitbucket ticket.

Cheers,
Gary  

jhgarrison February 23, 2017

Ah. I wasn't aware this forum was using the StackOverflow model. I'm moving my "answer" to a comment.

I don't know the address under which they were created since they were created as a result of emails sent to  support@bitbucket.org.  The reference numbers are BBS-49389 and BBS-49390.  I believe the second was marked as a dup of the first.  At any rate, they can be closed as the original problem was resolved.

I'm curious why your system started rejecting email from jhmg.net in spite of SPF, DKIM and DMARC "pass" status.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events