Rob Geraedts April 19, 2017

2 comments

Dave Van den Eynde April 20, 2017

Well, I guess they're free to change their pricing. It's a free market. This may be harsh, but if you don't like it you can always move elsewhere. It's not like they're the only source hosting service out there.

I have to say, I have personally never paid for it (yet) because well, that's my personal use and they offer a free plan. For businesses, they've always been dirt cheap. They also added a lot of value over the years, especially now with Pipelines and the other integrations.

But a scam? Nope, sorry, no way is this a scam.

Dave Van den Eynde April 20, 2017

Also, I just considered that I spent more on my coffee this morning that I'd pay per user per month. A scam? Seriously?

jens
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2017

Thank you for your feedback Rob. I would like to address some of your concerns with the upcoming pricing change in Bitbucket. 

Yes, we are changing the price from $1 to $2. Although most people will see a price increase, the price will only double if you have exactly 10, 25, 50 or 100 users. If you have 11, 26 or 51 users, the increase will be very small. 

The average increase between 11 and 25 users is 44%, where teams with 11 users will actually see a 12% decrease in price and only teams with exactly 25 users will see a 100% increase. 

We are changing the price from $1 to $2. It is worth emphasising this over the actual percentage. We haven't changed the pricing since we acquired Bitbucket in 2010. Even at $2 per user, Bitbucket continues to be extremely competitive. I am sure you will agree. 

A fairer pricing model. Many of our customers disliked our tiered pricing and we agree that charging per user makes more sense for a service like Bitbucket. It is fair. And that is what we are delivering with this pricing change, a fairer pricing model. 

More LFS, Pipelines and Search for your buck. With LFS as and Pipelines we have been adding some great features to Bitbucket. As part of that we are providing free file storage and Pipelines minutes to get people started.

Lastly, Search is finally coming to Bitbucket. Search in itself is extremely resource intensive. Ever tried to index millions of repositories?

To summarise. Yes, we are changing the price for the first time in 7 years. However, the Bitbucket pricing continues to be extremely competitive at $2 per person. Additionally, the pricing change will enable us to increase our investment in Bitbucket and provide you with an even better service over the coming years.

Trust me when I say we don't take these decision lightly. With a price change you will have to find the right balance between what's good for your product (to ensure you can continue to invest and stay competetive) and what's good for your customers (to ensure they get fair value out of it). I belief we have found that balance and kept true to our value of "Don’t #@!% the customer". 

I hope this provides some insight into our decision. 

Cheers,
Jens

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events