Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Showing Merge Conflicts Is Bad Product Design

Jon Link June 29, 2022

I was shocked to see that BitBucket will no longer be displaying merge conflicts in diffs. That's an essential feature. 

This makes diffs much less useful as the team can't view and discuss the conflicts in the code review.

2 comments

Jon Link June 29, 2022

Side note: trying to open this up as an issue as a paying customer ends in an extremely frustrating circle where you get sent to atlassian sys dashboard and it sends you to the contact page, which sends you back to the dashboard. WTF is that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

I don't do a lot of collaborative coding nowadays, it's mostly one-off chunks with the odd "ask a colleague to tell me where I've gone wrong / how to tidy it so I don't look like a complete amateur to a client" request, so I can't add much weight to your complaint.

But yes, I agree, this is a function that is very useful, and I can't think of any good reason to dump it.  As soon as you've got 3+ people coding within the same product, being able to check (potential or actual) merge conflicts is surprisingly useful (and not just in diffs)

Atlassian have tried to build a support system that guides people to the right place automatically, but it's not good, because of their size and evolved complexity.  Personally, I wish they'd go back to "eating their own dog food" like they did years ago - abandon forms that need 17 answers that could take you to any random system, or go round in circles.  Implement a simple set of JSM portals, backed up with a small triage team.  Heck, that's what it is for, and what they're trying to sell!

Anyway, I think you might be in a circle because you might not be fully supported.  You say "paying customer", but you don't mention which tier.  The free, starter, small academic, and charitable tiers are not directly supported, they will refer you here to the community for support in the first instance.

Jon Link June 29, 2022

Sadly, we are supported. We're on the standard plan. I eventually found a way to share my thoughts, but the repro on the endless loop is:

1. go to https://jira.atlassian.com/

2. click on click here: "Looking to give Atlassian feedback about our products? Click here" (takes you to system dashboard)

3. Under features and suggestions (closest thing I could find to giving feedback) click on Bitbucket Cloud

4. Click create at the top of the page

5. Issue type "suggestion"

6. click on "contact our Customer Support team."

7. Choose "Bitbucket" and Product Suggestions"

8. Click "Go to product suggestions"

9. ...guess where you land?.... system dashboard!!!    ('_') 

What you can do is go into Bitbucket and click on "Give Feedback" which is just below the support option which will also land you in the above loop :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

Just to be clear - you do have more than 10 licenced users?  And it's not one of the outliers (Charity/open source/academic, as those move the goal posts a bit)

I'm not doubting you are on a supported level, just looking for a statement that can't be argued by others.

But I am a bit uncertain on the use of Jira - https://jira.atlassian.com/ is where Atlassian ask peple to raise all sorts of things - questions, bugs, new features, ad the rest.  What is not working when you use "create issue"?

Jon Link June 29, 2022

Fair question. We have ~20 users for Bitbucket, no nonprofit, academic, or whatever price perks. Quite a few more for Jira. 

The most concise way to put it is, if try to create a new issue it tells you to hit up support. Support tells you to hit up the page jira page you just came from. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events