Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use Bitbucket Cloud and Jira Cloud? If so, let us know!

juliadillon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2018

Hi Community, I'm Julia and I'm on the Jira Software Cloud marketing team! 

We're looking for companies or teams using Bitbucket Cloud and Jira Software Cloud. If your team fits the ticket, comment below with what your team does and why you like using Bitbucket Cloud and Jira Software Cloud! The more details the better. 

1 comment

Miroslav Sommer June 18, 2018

We use JIRA Cloud and Bitbucket Cloud.

JIRA because it was considered defacto standard for issue tracking and familiar to developers.

Bitbucket Cloud because at the time we purchased it, there was a plan with unlimited number of users which works well for us, because our user base fluctuates due to many contractors who come and go as needed.

Unfortunately, we are not happy with Bitbucket Cloud - missing SAML support, missing per-project permissions (there's a ticket open for years), very limited Pipelines in our plan (if we want to use Pipelines effectively, we're forced to migrate our plan to Premium and pay 10x more), very limited Deployments (only 3 environments... too restrictive, so we might migrate to Premium but only if we can create any number of environments and call them as we wish).

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2018

Hi Miroslav,

Thanks for being a customer - and for your feedback!

Because you use Jira, SAML login is now supported (see my comment here) - but you’re right that project permissions could be improved. We’re currently focused on improving pull requests and pipelines, but we may circle back to that in the future.

I noticed you opened a separate post about expanding deployment environments, so I’ll let that conversation happen there. However I did want to point out that you don’t have to go to the Premium plan ($5/user) to get more build minutes - you can buy 1000 extra minutes per month for $10, even if you are on the Standard plan ($2/user). Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Alastair
Bitbucket PM

Miroslav Sommer June 19, 2018

Hi Alastair,

SAML - as discussed in many other posts, it's unacceptable to us that you charge extra for this. Even if it's for a "low monthly price" as you say - we'd fall in 251 - 1,000 Users so additional progressive cost of $2/user/month.

We currently pay $2400 annual flat rate cost for unlimited number of users and we cannot buy extra build minutes with that.

I've looked at your https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/cloud/access calculator.

There is no way anyone here would agree to:

• Pay extra $12,500 per year for SAML (Atlassian Access)
  • Pay $10,344 per year for Bitbucket Standard
  • Or pay $25,860 per year for Bitbucket Premium

In a clear comparison:

• We currently pay $2,400 per year and our use base can and does go up and down without any impact on the cost - this is very easy to budget for
  • SAML + Bitbucket Standard: $22,844 per year
  • SAML + Bitbucket Premium: $38,360 per year

We just cannot accept your pricing model. Maybe, but just maybe, if you include SAML for free in Bitbucket Premium, I would be able to convince the budget owner to upgrade our plan to Bitbucket Premium.

I completely understand why did you change the pricing model of Bitbucket from annual to monthly subscription, many companies have done that to optimize cash flow too, but as a customer, we do suffer from that change. If you want us to pay 5-10x more (for Standard/Premium) you have to offer something in return (and not just "you could buy extra build minutes").

Thanks,
Miro

jens
Atlassian Team
June 19, 2018

Hi Miro, 

When we introduced Atlassian Access (with SAML) we looked at how to price it in a way that's easy to understand and fair to our customers. 

Instead of charging for SAML with each individual product, which is what most products in the market do by including SAML in their Premium/Enterprise editions, we charge a single, low price across our entire suite of products. 

Let me give you an example. I'll use 500 users as a nice round number here. 

Bitbucket with SAML:

• $12,000 for Bitbucket Standard ($2/user/month)
  • $12,000 for Atlassian Access ($2/user/month)
  • Total: $24,000

Github with SAML:

• $126,000 ($21/user/month)

If you look at the market, you will see that Atlassian is extremely competitive with the way we price our products and how we charge for SAML.

I understand the above is still a far cry from the Unlimited plan we used to offer. While it wasn't feasible for us to continue that plan, we want to ensure our customers have access to great products at affordable prices. I hope by comparing our prices to the rest of the market, you will see that our pricing model is more than fair. 

Cheers,
Jens

Miroslav Sommer June 19, 2018

Hi Jens,

I understand that you do your best to follow the trends and compare your offering to a competition.

We compare the cost of the new product ($2400 for Bitbucket Cloud + $12,500 for Atlassian Access) to the cost of our existing product (just the $2,400).

Would you say that the cost of SAML (one feature) being 5x more expensive than Bitbucket (a suite of features) is fair?

What would you say is the cost of keeping managing accounts manually? Manual management is annoying and totally "we shouldn't be doing that", but we have estimated that it is less than $12,500 per year.

It would also take months to get an approval for yet another product, especially at this price level. From my perspective, as someone who wants both SAML + Bitbucket Premium, it would work better if you bundle SAML as part of your Bitbucket offering and I could present it to our budget holder as an upgrade of an existing, already approved product. But of course we would still have a serious discussion about a value it would bring, if it's 10x cost of our existing plan.

Cheers,
Miro

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events