Deploying to AWS ECS

Eric Wein September 30, 2019

I'm in the process of setting up a CD pipeline to deploy my Bitbucket repo to AWS ECS (fargate). I haven't been able to find many up to date tutorials on how to do this. I found the documentation for "How to deploy to ECS using Pipes" (https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/deploy-to-amazon-ecs-892623902.html) however its a bit unclear. I have added the example script:

- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecs-deploy:1.0.0
  variables:
    AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID
    AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
    AWS_DEFAULT_REGION: $AWS_DEFAULT_REGION
    CLUSTER_NAME: 'aws-ecs-deploy-example'
    SERVICE_NAME: 'aws-ecs-deploy-example-service'
    TASK_DEFINITION: 'taskDefinition.json'

however the build fails saying it can't find the task definition json in the repo. Could I get some more defined steps on how to get this working with AWS ECS (fargate, ECR et..)

Thanks

2 comments

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2019

Hi @Eric Wein ! You have to create the task definition file in your repository and commit it. Use the name of this file as a TASK_DEFINITION. Here is a working example of deploying a simple application https://bitbucket.org/bitbucketpipelines/example-aws-ecs-deploy/src/master/.

Eric Wein October 2, 2019

Great thanks. I noticed in the example you are using docker hub. I'm using AWS ECR so do I need to push the image there instead of docker hub? 

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2019

This doesn't matter, you can use dockerhub, AWS ECR or some other container registry of your choice. Also, there is a pipe for pushing images to AWS ECR as well https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image/

Ok perfect, do I also need a Dockerfile to boot the Node service after it is deployed or can I do it in the bitbucket-pipelines.yml under a script? Also for the ecr-push pipe what should be the value for IMAGE_NAME? Is that the ECR repo url? I'm getting a `Docker push error: name unknown` error when I do the following:

- step:
name: Build and push image to ECR
services:
- docker
script:
# build the image
- docker build -t $AWS_ECR_REPO_URL/my-image-name .

# use the pipe to push the image to AWS ECR
- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:0.1.3
variables:
IMAGE_NAME: $AWS_ECR_REPO_URL/my-image-name

I got it working, I decided to not use the pipe and just use the manual docker commands.

Like masernet-atlassian likes this
Diônitas Mendes dos Santos October 4, 2019

@Alexander Zhukov,  do you have any idea of the reason why the erro bellow happens?

Docker push error: name unknown: The repository with name 'repositoryy_name/image_name' does not exist in the registry with id 'repository_id'

I am using the same setup of Eric.

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2019

@Diônitas Mendes dos Santos you don't need to add the 

$AWS_ECR_REPO_URL

before the /my-image-name. The pipe adds this URL for you, so when you add it to the pipe parameter, it basically becomes

<AWS_ECR_REPO_URL>/<AWS_ECR_REPO_URL>/my-image-name

Docker interprets the second part (after the first slash) as an image name, instead of repository/image_name, that's why there is an error.  

Here is an example:

- pipe: atlassian/aws-ecr-push-image:0.1.3
variables:
IMAGE_NAME: my-image-name
Mazen El-Kashef December 23, 2019

@Alexander Zhukov I was wondering how would this work? "image": "${IMAGE_NAME}", in my definition I need to add environment variables and I definitely don't want them to be in my repository, at the same time "image": "${IMAGE_NAME}" resolves resolves to a string, and would that be evaluated at the pipeline or at AWS (it doesn't make sense to be evaluated in AWS but just wondering)?

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
December 23, 2019

@Mazen El-Kashef you have to replace it with the real image name before executing the pipe. For example, you can use the envsubst tool. Here is an example 

envsubst < task-definition-template.json > task-definition.json
This will replace the "${IMAGE_NAME}" value in your task definition with the corresponding environment variable. Here is a link to the complete example: https://bitbucket.org/bitbucketpipelines/example-aws-ecs-deploy/src/master/bitbucket-pipelines.yml
Like Mazen El-Kashef likes this
VictorUsoro April 13, 2020

The build fails at this step, it says envsubst not found

Like Mark Milan likes this
Omri April 14, 2020

@Alexander Zhukov 

Hi, I am using this example and it all works for me.

However, I need to fill out the port mapping (e.g. 8080)

"portMappings": [        {          "hostPort": "${PORT}",          "protocol""tcp",          "containerPort": "${PORT}"        }      ],

It fails because PORT should be a number and not a string, removing the quotes makes it invalid JSON file.

What do you suggest?

Mark Milan May 6, 2020

@VictorUsoro 

Try adding on the top of your pipeline

image: 

name: atlassian/default-image:2
Like VictorUsoro likes this
Eric Wein October 5, 2019

@Alexander Zhukov I'm getting "Container 'docker' exceeded memory limit." errors when trying to run my react app in production mode. I have tried to increase the memory for the docker build step by setting size: 2x but the error is still occurring. My app does not have any super large dependencies just the pretty standard react dependencies. Here is the step that is breaking.

- step:
name: Build Docker Image
services:
- docker
image: atlassian/pipelines-awscli
size: 2x # Double resources available for this step.
script:
- echo $(aws ecr get-login --no-include-email --region us-west-2) > login.sh

- sh login.sh

- docker build -t my-image-name --build-arg NPM_TOKEN=${NPM_TOKEN} .

- docker tag my-image-name:latest 231231231.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/my-image-name:latest

- docker push 231231231.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/my-image-name:latest

Like Adan J. Suarez likes this
Ignacio Mendizabal July 6, 2020

Any solution to this? I'm experiencing the same issue... 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events