Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Permissions

jonathan.revah November 6, 2019

Hey guys,

So recently our organization tightened up permissions and stopped allowing all users to create new repositories. The issue is, if you attempt to create one without the correct permissions, it just produces the repository under your namespace.

Really, it should return an error of some kind so we know what's going on.

Just thought you guys would want to know.

1 comment

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hello @jonathan.revah,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you elaborate on the flow you're following to create a repository? Is it via UI? If so, is my understanding correct that even though you select your Org's team in the dropdown (see screenshot), the new repository ends up in your own account?

Create a repository — Bitbucket 2019-11-07 09-14-54.png

Cheers,
Daniil

jonathan.revah November 6, 2019

Hi Daniil,

The flow not quite like that. If I go into one of my organization's projects and hit 'create repo', it'll take me to a page that looks like this:

https://bitbucket.org/repo/create?owner=organization_name

The owner will be listed as me, but it won't display any error when going to that page and will obviously create a repo under my name.

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Ok, now I get what you mean. Thanks for the details!

So yes, you're right, in this case we silently ignore the context you came from and preselect some other account you can create repositories in – in your case it is your personal account (but might be some other team, for instance).

I agree we should show some hint that the context has changed. I mean that there's no bug in the behaviour you observed, it's rather a silent fallback to another account which is easy to miss. I'll check with the team on what we can do there. Do you mind creating a ticket with the same description in our public issue tracker? This way you'll be notified as soon as we do something about this issue.

Cheers,
Daniil

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events