Can not log in to Bitbucket in Visual Studio

Jesus Barrio March 3, 2022

Suddenly I did stop login from Visual Studio.

My user and password works correctly when login from website.

The ouput says:

git: 'credential-manager-core' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
Logon failed, use ctrl+c to cancel basic credential prompt.
cannot spawn /c/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio/2019/community/common7/ide/commonextensions/microsoft/teamfoundation/team explorer/Git/mingw32/libexec/git-core/git-askpass.exe: No such file or directory
Git failed with a fatal error.

Captura de pantalla 2022-03-03 113235.png

3 comments

David Dansby
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2022

@Jesus Barrio this is most likely related to the removal of account passwords for Basic authentication with Git over HTTPS and API. You can find more details in our community post below. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-articles/Announcement-Bitbucket-Cloud-account-password-usage-for-Git-over/ba-p/1948231

Jesus Barrio March 9, 2022

I see.

What are the alternatives to sync Visual Studio with Bitbucket?

Jesus Barrio March 9, 2022

To log on from the visual studio extension I was using:

miemailaddess@gmail.com 

my_bitbucket_password

I tried app passsord with:

my_username@bitbucket.org and miemailaddess@gmail.com 

my_app_password

But it did not worked.

David Dansby
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

@Jesus Barrio app passwords do not work with email as username. You need to use your Bitbucket Cloud username in order to successfully authenticate so that you can sync. Please let me know if this works

Like # people like this
Jesus Barrio March 10, 2022

Finally I reached to sync using as login:

my_bitbuket_username

the password from app passwords

Thank you!

Like # people like this
mnizamani March 17, 2022

Hi Jesus,

The same issue is appearing at my side. I'm providing bitbucket username and app password but it is not working. Is there any specific format of providing bitbucket user name or app password?

ticelima May 23, 2022

my_bitbuket_username

the password from app passwords

It only works if you use app password BitBucket's (https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/app-passwords/)

First, I used app password Atlassian's but it didn't work.

Like # people like this
David Dansby
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2022

@Jesus Barrio I also wanted to warn you that this VS Studio Bitbucket extension is not owned by us and from my research appears to not be maintained anymore. For such unmaintained extensions I would exercise caution in using them as they may potentially have more issues out of our scope in the future.

https://github.com/MistyKuu/bitbucket-for-visual-studio

sriprasanna.mg June 7, 2022

With VS 2022 the plugin does not work and there is no answer from ATLASSIAN for getting this features as supported by Github's VS plugin: GitHub Extension for Visual Studio - Visual Studio Marketplace

I think this is a really bad situation for teams using Visual Studio for development.

[BSERV-13342] Bitbucket datacenter extension for Visual Studio - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Francine Taylor July 6, 2022

I was running 2022 and not having any problems up until I changed my domain password. Then every time I tried to use VS or bash, I would get blocked. In bash, the message was "fatal: Authentications failed for 'https://bitbucket...<domain><application>.git'

The solution was to enter this in bash: "git config --system credential.helper manager"

After the credential manager was engaged, VS and bash worked normally for me. It was explained to me that the credential manager is what made sure git and bash know about and can use your domain credentials.

Might not be the solution in all cases, but it's one more thing to try.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events